IFC Settings? Failed to Import

I have been trying to export an IFC file from Revit and then import the created file into Rhino. I tried changing the settings and everytime I get the same error… Error importing file from Dropbox …

“Error importing file “S:\Dropbox (USC Village)\ZZZZ. BIM\11 IFC Files\11111111111111111111.ifc”.”

Hi Eric,

Out-of-the box Rhino 5 does not import IFC files, so you must be using a plug-in to do so. Do you know what plug-in you are using?

– Dale

Thanks I’m using VisualARQ

@fsalla, can you assist?

Hi Eric,

As an alternative you can also download and try my Geometry Gym for importing and exporting IFC with Rhino and Grasshopper. Look for ggRhinoIFC at http://www.geometrygym.com/downloads I’ll assist if you have problems.

Cheers,

Jon

1 Like

@ericguizzetti Hi Eric, make sure VisualARQ is loaded before importing the IFC file. (Just run any VisualARQ command: i.e _vaWall, to load VisualARQ)
Please send the IFC file to visualarq@asuni.com if the problem persists and we will check it out.
Thanks,

@fsalla
do I actually need to load Visual Arq for every use. I was under the
assumption that it auto loaded itself?

@jonm
I looked at the Geo-Gym site. Looks pretty cool. I was however curious what
this add’s to the Revit export as Revit already exports IFC files? Any
insight would be helpful!

@fsalla
I sent you an email with my file attached. For some reason I just get
Regenerating Graphics for hours on end…

running current version of Rhino and VisArq

Computer is Dual Xeon with SLI 1080 and 128gigs of mem

running windows 10

@fsalla

Well I finally figure out my issue. I was under the assumption from
watching the videos series that the combination of R+V would place my model
on the work plane. It however didn’t and after enough searching I found
it…

Hi Eric,

The emphasis on my work is design transfer, rather than the existing implementations of IFC exchange are primarily focused on “coordination”. Ifc2x3 has a coordination model view definition emphasis, and only utilizes a small set of shape representations (and even then it’s only typically extrusions and faceted breps that work). File sizes are typically inefficient and model data degraded (handrails and features such as globes don’t use sweeps or revolutions, creating bloated files with mesh).

I’ve used IFC4 for years (one of it’s features is nurbs), and the key workflow in use is Rhino/Grasshopper (conceptual) to Revit (detailed design).

I took a look at your image below, the authoring software has used remote/shared coordinates, and the model data is a long way from origin. Neither Revit or Rhino handles this well and you should keep the geometry close to origin. The long delay could very well be meshing.

My tools have options for ignoring aspects such as this (a construction plane can still be set up so you can query coordinates in the large coordinate system). If you want to test I can advise further.

Cheers,

Jon

@jonm

I would love to give it a shot. I am actually testing Rhino with plugs for
work. We have been considering this for awhile and I really want to pull
the hammer. I just need a solid workflow. To be honest presently its faster
for me to import DWG’s to Rhino, re-built them with materials and export
them into 3d space using Fuzor 3d. I am in high hopes your plug in can save
me some time…

@jonm

The geometry came in from export all weird

DWG Import to rebuild…

DWG Import… (After a small amount of joining, layer creation and
materials)

@ericguizzetti At the moment it is required to load VisualARQ before importing IFC files. I hope we will improve that in future versions.