Interoperability improvements and ifc exchange format

it would be great to have the possibility to add textual properties on each rhino geometry and export the model as ifc data exchange format without loosing these properties.

1 Like

Hi Riccardo -
I’ve added your comment to open feature request RH-52747 Wish - Rhino IFC import - export
-wim

2 Likes

Any news on that?

Hi @PetrVacek,

VisualARQ supports IFC.

– Dale

Hi @dale
I am familiar with VIsualARQ, but I was hoping for native Rhino support to import and export this format. I usually design some art sculptures for clients and they share 3D models in IFC. For that I don’t need VIsualARQ’s toos, buying the licence just to open the file makes no sense. I just need to open the file, get geometry and do my job. BIM is getting more and more popular and I tried some other tools, but opening an IFC was a mess. That’s why I was hoping for the IFC importer to be implemented some time soon…

3 Likes

Check out these projects:

Or if you can live without IFC, maybe these projects will be interesting for you

Even though it would be cool to have native Rhino IFC export/import, no question about it, but it’s good to realise how much time and effort (money) it takes too support IFC export/import because of it’s own complexity and constantly changing schema.

1 Like

Hi Petr,

I get that you might prefer IFC out of the box. But if you tested importing IFC into Rhino with the Geometry Gym plugin and identified issues, if you contact me directly, I can help try to resolve them. I’m working on continual improvements based on reports from users.

Cheers,

Jon

I’m in the same situation here, in the end I had to buy visual arch just to open ifc files, that’s a pity but I was in a hurry.

If all that you want is the contents of the ifc file as explicit geometry can I suggest ifcconvert
https://ifcopenshell.org/downloads.html
Which can either generate a step file or if the sent geometry is curved, create a obj mesh instead. There are more control available from the command line. It is what ifcpanel is using behind the scenes for import.

Isn’t .step and .obj both handling meshes only?

*.step does not handle meshes.

1 Like

Ah, you are right, I was thinking about .stl, sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

But isn’t ifc handling nurbs also? I’ve read in the documentation that the last ifc version should be able to handle NURBS, but based on what you say, is this true for box-like geometries only?

I receive a lot of ifc files for bridges and other curved roof structures from predominantly Tekla. The curved beam elements come through as mesh when using ifc import on visualarq. I think this is a limitation of ifc3x2.
The only reason i use ifc is that it is the only transfer method that includes an identifier (tag) that can be used downstream which is where i am.

If i want a breakdown i use the IC file analyzer from NIST. i dont know the link off hand

Thanks for the hint on IfcOpenShell and IfcConvert. This is great.