How to extrude wavy surface

Hi, I was trying to put a solid simple rectangular box under the waves and make it a solid object but somehow can’t do it. I’ve tried many things but can’t figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciate it. I’ve attached the file also
prueba v1.3dm (13.6 MB)

1 Like

1 . Explode the rectangular curve so it is 4 separate curves.
Individually.
2. Loft each of these curves with the corresponding edge of your wavy surface. This will make 4 surfaces that will “skirt” the wavy surface.
3. Join these 4 new surfaces to the wavy surface. This will result in an Open polysurface.
4. Use the Cap command to make a surface that seals up the bottom.

Bob’s your uncle…

1 Like

other workflow

select the rectangle and the wavy surface
_boundingbox

select the new box and the wavy surface.
_createSolid

result should be 2 solids
delete the top one.

no idea about uncles and aunts ( i missed something i think)…don t call me uncle tom.
kind regards -tom

1 Like

"Bob’s your uncle " is a phrase commonly used in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries that means “and there it is” or “and there you have it” or “it’s done”. Typically, someone says it to conclude a set of simple instructions or when a result is reached. The meaning is similar to that of the French expression “et voilà!”.

4 Likes

@John_Brock
thanks…humour and phrases are always hard to understand / read for a non-native speaker / writer…
(maybe i should read more novels and less api documentations)
thanks for the explanation.

2 Likes

Idomatic expressions are always fun to explore.

1 Like

Had a small “Jon Banquer”-flashback there… Jon was NOT your uncle Bob, but he sure was a lot of other things - if anyone else remember him from the days of yore :joy:
#oldnewsgrouptroll
-Jakob

1 Like

All the solutions worked! thanks @John_Brock and @Tom_P for the quick response. Great to know there is this great community online.

2 Likes

same here :joy:

1 Like

Oh, yeah… World’s greatest authority on everything CAD… :clown_face:

1 Like

or, Extrude rectangular to surface, Join, Cap.
or DupBorder, Loft the result with the rectangular, Join, Cap.

1 Like

Yep… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

There’s many ways to achieve this, as clearly demonstrated by some fanboi’s so far.

I can think of 3 more ways that haven’t been mentioned yet, and several permutations to them and several per ones already said.

But, still no solution tagged. Maybe not necessary. But would be interesting to see the one true method of choice you may select.

there seems to be a double standard up in here.

fanboi’s starting to make alot of sense :rofl:

sounds like you are your own personal fanboy either :man_shrugging: :smile:
besides all that shoulder pounding, why did you resurrect that handled topic??

Partly cause it hasn’t been closed, censored and double standardized yet.

There’s a dozen ways to do many things in Rhino but it’s not necessary to list them all.

I think that’s normally up to the OP to do (or not) and while it’s good to do, it is entirely optional.

1 Like

what does double standardized mean in this specific topic? why would it be closed or even censored?
by the way the solution was tagged you can see the solution highlighted in the first post.

It means there’s a double standard whereby I will get chastised by fanboi’s n’ moderators and then my comments and rebuttals will be deleted while their accusations will remain.

Hence,

good question.

I see that now. Probably due to promotion on my part. Is there a time stamp of the tag-ation I wonder – probably occurred recently. Important thing is solutions are good. And usually are many.

Nothing is generally removed unless it contains spam, personal attacks, foul language or off-topic political/social/economic manifestos and the like.

Hence,