Flow and Extrude

Wave Table.3dm (2.7 MB)

Hi,

I am trying to wrap or flow an undulating line/pattern around a barrel shape form.
My intent is to extrude the wrapped shape to a 4’ thickens.
My end goal is to create something like the imbedded photo.

This is a table base design I am working on and untilmatly will be made out of wood.

I’m super rusty on my Rhino and can’t figure out how to get from point A to point B :0

Thanks in advance!

I think you want to use a different command

1. Use CreateUV and select the outside surface of the barrel.
  2. Position your wavy curves in that rectangle.
  3. Use ApplyCrv and select both the rectangle and your positioned wavy curves back onto the outer barrel surface.

I think you’ll want to use the Fin command to push a surface fin out away from the barrel along the surface normal.
Then maybe offset the barrel surface to the Fin distance, and Trim it with the Fin surface.

Is that what you’re after?

Thanks John for responding.

You lost me at step 3.
I was able to position the wave pattern in the rectangle using Create UV
Then through Apply Crv I tried selecting the wave pattern positioned in the rectangle that was generated along with the barrel surface but nothing happened.

Does this approach apply the wave pattern on to the contour of the barrel form?

The positioned profile and rectangle are the curves TO BE applied [enter], and the second selection is the surface to apply them upon.
Are you reading the command line prompts?

I’m selecting CreateUVCrv but nothing happens when I try to select the outside surface of the barrel

OK I got it to work but I don’t think that’s what I wanted to happen.
I want the wave pattern to wrap the barrel without distorting it then use that wave pattern to extrude inward by 4" to create the structure similar to the imbedded photo reference.Wave Table.3dm (2.9 MB)

It must distort a little (stretch) because the barrel has compound curvature.
The top and bottom of the CreateUV rectangle is the top and bottom of the barrel.
Position your curves within that rectangle accordingly. If you want a gap on the tom and bottom, then use a 1D Scale to shrink them in.

You did not embed the photo in the 3dm file so I was guessing.

I think you have all the details you need to fiddle with it until you get what you want.

Cheers

Hello - see if the attached file gets you what you’re after.

Wave Table_PG.3dm (235.1 KB)

-Pascal

Great thanks