How to apply 2 materials on the same wall

This was working in the v8 WIP last I checked. Sub-objects can have separate mapping channels applied to use those specific settings for the object itself. v8 will also have a number of other UV mapping updates and this is a good time to take a look and provide feedback if interested.

Here’s a v8 WIP sample file that shows the set up. The polysrf has two mapping channels, 1 and 2. The sub object face has a material applied that uses mapping channel 2 for it’s texture.

multiple_mapping_channels.3dm (759.5 KB)

The development work in this area is ongoing and in looking at this post and making the sample file I uploaded, it’s clear we still need to change some things in the UI to make it more obvious what is happening when adjusting sub-object mapping. @theoutside and I were just discussing it and we’ll file some bugs/requests for @Jussi_Aaltonen . I think the number one thing is that a sub-object selection should still show a mapping section in Properties that leads you to creating a new channel.

1 Like

Thank you.

I’m coming to Rhino from FormZ which has a very easy click and drag Interactive texture mapping method and this has been difficult to do quickly in Rhino. Any chance you all are making any updates there as well?

Currently the Gumball is used to scale and reposition any mapping widgets and these need to be enabled in the Properties panel to do so. I’ll discuss this with the developers though and see if there are any thoughts on improving these widgets and making them more obvious. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your feedback.

If there was some way to make the mapping process more intuitive that would be great. FormZ and SketchUp both do this graphically without so many unnecessary steps through menus. A Texture Mapping tool is used. So perhaps Rhino could do something like, Using the Texture Map tool, select a object or sub-object (Shift+CTRL+Click), assign a material, then pull the arrows to snap to corners to complete interactive texture mapping. Assuming your cube example, which is perfect. Thoughts?

Just following up here to see if this has been changed at all since October?

I feel subselection is sometimes not so easy to handle and so I have a wish: could it be possible that materials and mapping are kept after _join is done and transformed to subselection properties? Doe’s @Jussi_Aaltonen develop this?

1 Like

I’ve logged the request as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-73290/Keep-materials-and-mapping-when-joining-objects

2 Likes