How many folks using substance suite with rhino?

Hi @jeremy5,

To be fair, I started making .rmtl files with SubstanceImporter v1. As far as I know, it would only export PBR .rmtl files. Now with SubstanceImporter v2 I can get .sbsar files, and those are good too but there are a copuple of reasons I’m going back to the .rmtl files.

For the project I’m working on now, I find the .rmtls a little more useful. First off, I need to share the materials with others, most of whom won’t have SubstanceImporter installed. So a .rmtl is a more universal file format for other Rhino users.

Second, I’m a total beginner with the Substance suite and have only made a few materials with Alchemist. I don’t know how to make .sbsar files that I can change the values on in Rhino. By making them .rmtl files, I can still modify the roughness, etc. in the Rhino material panel.

If someone can point me to some decent demos on making .sbsar files that can be adjusted in Rhino, that would be great!

1 Like

And here the V2

5 Likes

Did you try to use these materials with Vray somehow ?

this pertains to using substance in rhino render.

you’d need to speak to the vray folks to see what their plan is for substance support.

a workaround may be to bring a substance material into rhino as sbsar, then change the material type to PBR. this bakes the textures and you can then save it as a regular PBR material. If vray accepts that as input you are good to go, however you will lose the ability to change the parameters you would have had if you’d stayed in sbsar format. In some cases that is fine, in others you may have to iterate a bit in that workflow to get exactly what you want in vray.