Help for new user

Hello all, I just downloaded my 90 day student trial version for rhino. I’m coming over from Fusion 360, where it’s been nothing but one issue after another (I’ve spent more time in the help forum, than actually making anything in the program…Extrude this, then offset plane, then this and that just to make a set of grating edges for a cheese grater), so after a week of getting absolutely nowhere, and the help forums where no one actually helps you with the issue, I’ve hopped over to rhino, because I hear it’s more friendly towards industrial designers who just want to make a workable model of a product.

My few questions are this:
1.) What image file works when I want to insert an image to trace with P-lines? I’ve tried searching for images online and saving them to desktop, but can’t seem to open them in the software?
2.) What is the best source for tutorials? I tried watching the videos in the rhino “tutorials” section, but the guy who has them posted has a laggy computer and a horrible mic.
3. If I want to make cutting edges like seen in the uploaded image from a fusion 360 model I (somewhat made), what would be the best tutorial source for that as well?

I’m pretty much done and dusted with fusion and autodesk as a whole. I don’t like spending 30 hours to learn something that should take a few hours to learn. I understand rhino has a ton to learn as well, but I want to simply make models of my designs and render them. I don’t have the time or the willingness to sit there and learn 5,000 commands to make a box that offsets to join into a slot.
It also doesn’t help Autodesk that I see nearly ZERO job postings that call for fusion 360, but almost all of them ask for rhino and solidworks (two programs people have stated are much simpler in use compared to fusion).

Any help would be awesome! Thank you!

Fusion 360 has a lot of advantages but also a lot of disadvantages over Rhino. I prefer Rhino’s way of working but there’s also a bit of a learning curve to master it.

Try using import or just dragging the image onto Rhino. “Open” is for opening already existing files which has 2D or 3D geometry in it.

Regarding tutorials I can’t really help you out. I mostly learned by doing. Started drawing things, getting stuck, googling how to do it or ask here and continue.
edit: But then again I also had some experience from drawing in Autocad, Sketchup, Microstation & Solidworks.
The first time I was working with Rhino I thought it was a crap program which you can hardly draw stuff with. Now I think it’s one of the most versatile and fun programs out there and I use it daily in my work.

Ah, okay, I’ll do just that, in regards to putting up an image.

What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Secondly, I tried creating a basic cylindrical shape, revolving it, but for the life of me, it wont turn into a solid body…Heh, I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually.

Yeah, I think I’m already getting a slight hang of it. I enjoy how I can just make a pline and revolve and go from there. I just have to learn the tips and tricks. Doing the same function in fusion would take 3 hours to learn how to properly do it, then 20 minuets spent actually doing it, then 5 hours on the help forums.

However, my main issue is this ATM. I created the revolve of my “bottle”, however, when I go into perspective, it doesn’t turn it into a solid body. This is a fresh install with zero settings changed at all.

EDIT: When I attempt to move the gumball, the poly line surface won’t move on both sides. It’ll just move the line out, while retaining the shape.

Screenshot%20(14)|690x388

Fusion is a parametric modeler meaning you define sketches with dimensions and constrain things to each other so that if you afterwards want to change a dimension it’s easy to go back and do that and everything updates. In Rhino there are ways of doing that as well but it requires some knowledge and depends on the geometry.
Fillets are also often a painpoint for beginners (and non-beginners) in Rhino in comparison to Fusion. Fusion solves a lot internally. Whether those surfaces look good I leave up to the surfacing experts out here.

And then there’s the built-in cam functionality in Fusion which seems to be popular at our local makerspace. And there is the price of course which seems to be for some people a painpoint.

I love Rhino’s workflow since you can use it as a sketching tool as well. Try something, copy it make changes, copy it and start comparing your different ideas. In fusion 360 this requires defining lots of dimensions and sketches.

Also I love the command-line in Rhino. Typing commands is way faster than going through the menus and finding the right button. Make shortcuts of those commands and then you can really speed up your workflow.

1 Like

I saw your image, now it somehow disappeared. But could it be you are still in Wireframe mode? When you click on the triangle next to perspective you can choose “Shaded” mode.

Edit: Also as a general advice it’s easier to get help if you post your file. Then others can look at your file and see what is wrong instead of guessing based on an image.

"Fillets are also often a painpoint for beginners (and non-beginners) in Rhino in comparison to Fusion. Fusion solves a lot internally. Whether those surfaces look good I leave up to the surfacing experts out here.

And then there’s the built-in cam functionality in Fusion which seems to be popular at our local makerspace. And then there is the price of course which seems to be for some people a painpoint."

I understand you have to be careful with fillets, otherwise you’ll just mess up the model.

Right, Fusion is a ton of money. Of course, you get a 3 year trial period, but 2 of those three years is spent in the forums xD It’s a good reason why autodesk boasts about their online community.

bottle.3dm (97.0 KB)

Forgot you can upload files on here, heh, my bad!

And I got into shaded mode, now the issue is modifying the overall shape, and having the model move in accordance with my new line point. As of now, it just moves the line out, and retains its shape.

That’s what I mean with Rhino not being a parametric modeler. It’s not automatically linked to that curve as it would be in Fusion and you cannot go back in your history tree to change it. They are separate entities.

Although in this case there is a built-in function that you can use which is “History”. Before running the revolve command you can press this button here:

Then it will link the curve to the revolved surface, to some extent.
Here is a file where I did it for you. Now you can play around with the curve and the surface updates.
Bottle help.3dm (88.8 KB)

Interesting, I was watching the bottle tutorial and the guy was changing the shape at will.

should I hit “always record history” prior to beginning my lines?

I don’t do that but you can, depending on what you’re after. I almost never use History. If I use it I just left click on it before the command and “History” will become in bold letters meaning it’s activated. As soon as you finish the command it gets deactivated again unless you hit “Always record history”.

AH! I’ve figured it out. I didn’t have record history on like you’ve stated.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I subscribed to Alexandre Galins Udemy course on Rhino. I am a complete newbie to 3d design so it may be a bit basic for you, but I have found it an excellent guide.I also worked through the Rhino training manual.I also like to watch youtube videos to see how people use different tools to design.

Carl

Hi Adrian - yes, but no… that is it is probably not a good idea to have History recording on all the time-

• It is a bunch of extra data in the file
  • it can lead to problems if you really do not want history recorded - history is not completely harmless. For example, if History is on and you copy an object and put it on another layer as a backup, and then you change the original, the copy will be changed too, and you may or may not be aware that it has changed - I bet you forgot History was on.

So I’d say, if you set Rhino to always record history for a set of operations, make sure you turn it off again when you’re done.

Some other History things:

• If you turn on per-command history recording at any time before the command ends, you’ll get History - you do not need to kill the command and start over with History on.

• Any command name with a # in front records history - e.g. loft

-Pascal

Might you be able to help with this issue? I fillet an edge on a revolved surface, however, I still have a square line that does not go away after I fillet the edge. Unless that doesn’t ever go away?

bottle_fillet_issue.3dm (312.0 KB)

the square line is the polyline you used to make the shape you revolved.If you click on it you can just delete it.

Or, Revolve with History and fillet the polyline instead of the revolved object.

-Pascal

but then my model becomes un-editable.

How do I do that? Any videos which show case this? (Keep in mind, this is my very first day on the program).