Help for new user

Did you download the training manual? It goes over most of the basic functions and has lots of exercises to get you up and running . I found that doing the exercises really helped me understand how RHINO works.

Are the exercises in the PDF, or are they the other files that are seen in the download?

I just downloaded it, I’ll poke around! Thanks for bringing it up!

no there are rhino files also in the download that you use in the exercises

I recommend videos from lynda.com and simplyrhino.

It took me less than 3 minutes. I think grasshopper, in general, compared to other CAD CAE softwares provides the best balance of speed and parametricism in terms of “Modeling”.
test.gh (12.0 KB)

It’s fun to see people come to Rhino after starting in Fusion. I was doing that the other way around, and found similar frustrations. (I didn’t Leave Rhino though, just adding Fusion)
Fusion has it’s place, but is Extremely limited in terms of surfacing, especially if your parts have to interface with actual assemblies.

Tutorials are Tough. There is a wide usergroup. In my world, no one uses grasshopper. No one can even figure out grasshopper, and from what we can find it seems to only be useful for paneling and patterns. The tutorials out there are built by engineers, but we are designers.

But if you want to familiarity, Rhino is Fusion ONLY in patch mode. Ignore model mode completely. Rhino is Only solid, if you Join (stitch in fusion) things together. Once it’s solid, it stays solid, until you cut something apart. But in Rhino, there’s really no need to keep things solid. You can fix one surface, join it back up.

One awesome thing? You can Bend entire parts, with a fair amount of control. Check out FlowAlongSurface. So for your grater, you create the grate pattern flat, then bend it into it’s form. That’s how you’d do it in Creo as well, and likely Solid Works, but I don’t know as much about Solid Works because most of the users I know there don’t do surfacing at all.

Some of the tutorials help a Tiny bit, like the duck tutorial that’s been around forever, but if that one doesn’t resonate with you, you Might just want to go through all the commands one by one so you know what exists. There are WAY more tools in Rhino than Fusion.

Fusion definitely wins in FEA and CAM though. So head back there if you need that. And get out your pocket book because they aren’t just charging 300/year for FEA anymore.