Failed to save Rhino 6 file

Hey there,

I’ve just purchased the Rhino 6 for Windows upgrade and have been having trouble saving. I only noticed this because I was periodically getting “Autosave failure” in the command history. When I tried to save my file, I got an even more worrying notification

Capture

Any ideas on what’s going on here? I don’t want to just export my model because then my layouts and associated settings will be lost. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello - are you saving to a DropBox, Google Drive or other monitored and synced folder?

-Pascal

Another possibility we are seeing a few of is in Windows Defender > Virus & Threat protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Make sure “Controlled folder access” is Off.

1 Like

Yes, my file is saving to a Dropbox folder on my computer which is set to sync with the cloud, but the Autosave is local to my computer.

Hi John, I’m on Windows 7 so I don’t think my version of Windows Defender has this option.

Hi!

I have the same problem.

• Rhino 6 Evaluation Version - 80 days left
  • no method of saving worked
  • tried to save locally
  • copying from this file is not working
  • export is not working

Best
Thomas

This sounds more like your eval version thinks it’s expired. Other people having the file save problem have reported that saving under another name, copying/pasting or exporting still works.

–Mitch

Hello - just to confirm - saving to say, the desktop, works, is that correct? And Autosave - does this fail always?
can you run the Autosave command a few times - what happens?

thanks,

-Pascal

Autosave was running automatically and I think it had failed for about 400 minutes or something. In the end, I was able to save the file out as Rhino 5, and I’ve been working in Rhino 5 ever since.

Also, saving to desktop did not work at all - this was the dialog box that popped up “failed to save Rhino 6 file”

1 Like

I believe this is a real bug - nothing to do with the evaluation. @thomasn 's problem is a problem with (it would appear) Rhino 5 annotation styles imported into Rhino 6 (possibly in a linked block). We are still working on the solution.

@alice.kaii Have you imported any Rhino 5 dimension styles into your file?

If you load the V5 file that you saved in V6, can you repeat the problem where it can’t be saved?

Do you have a way to otherwise repeat the problem by following some specific steps in Rhino 6?

Hi again!

When is this problem going to be solved?
I had to stop testing Rhino 6 because i have to import Rhino 5 files quite often, and if the problem occured, there is no other way than to close the file without saving, which is really annoying…

hI

I am also having this problem. It is not a evaluation as i purchased it 2 weeks ago. Won’t save to desktop or dropbox.

@Stephanie_Clerkin, @thomasn - can you see Andy’s questions above

Does any of that apply to your case?

thanks,

-Pascal

Try Changing the location of Autosave folder.

I have the same problem. I’m using the commercial version Rhino 6.
When I try to save my file to hard disk or Dropbox, i receive the error message “Rhioceros 6 Failed to Save”.
For me the workaround was to save the file to Rhino5 file format.

Hello @orgelbouwwuyts,

Do you have a file which you can reproduce this problem with? It would be really helpful to get our hands on the file to see if we can reproduce.

-David

@orgelbouwwuyts,

I sent you a private message.

-David

Hi there,
i have the same issue here, and i can’t save or export or event copy/paste the drawing i did.
I am scared to lose 3 hours of work (which can be redone but…).
Any idea of what is going on ?

Spec :
Rhino 6 pro on Windows 10
I am in between Google Drive and a servor.