Export OBJ failure - the file writing plug-in failed - Solution

Hello, I am trying to export a floor design with 10k square tiles. I have to take the file to Blender 2.81, I managed to export the file as .obj a couple of times before but now, having nothing changed on the file or my computer, this message started showing when I tried to export. Even reducing the amount selected to export to 4 tiles, it continues to give that error. I have tried uninstalling and re installing and even updated my Rhino to the Versión 6 SR24 (6.24.20079.23341, 19/03/2020).

The file is not going to a folder that is synced to the cloud, nor do the layers have invalid characters nor there are transparent materials, only the default plaster one. I also set up that the export .obj plug-in is loaded right clicking on it (MIND the different between it being enabled and loaded, being enabled means that it should load upon request, if you are getting my error make sure to open the file and load it manually here)

• UPDATE
    After setting the plug in to load it started working AFTER restarting the program (just in case it doesn’t work right away for you). I managed to export an 500mb .obj file straight away,

See the difference in the following image on the “Cargados” (Loaded) column after the “export .obj”, here is where you right click and “load plug-in”:

I hope this helps anyone having this issue!

Hello - you should be able to get it working if enabled by right-click and > Load Plug-in.

-Pascal

Hello Pascal, it didn’t work right away the first time (weird), but I closed and re opened the software and then worked perfectly with that file and other files.

Hey, did you solve this problem? I also came across this error, and I checked my export obj plugin, it was enabled. very weird.
Appreciate it if anyone can help.

Hi April -

That appears to be something else. When you click the OK button in that dialog, doesn’t the OBJ file get created?

Also, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

Hi April -

Thanks for that. It doesn’t answer the most important question though - does the OBJ file get created when you click OK?

At any rate, please update your Rhino 7 installation - you are several updates behind. Also, while none of your GPUs are very good to be running Rhino 7 (let alone using two screens), you might as well use the one that is somewhat better than the integrated Intel GPU.
-wim

oh, yes, It exported the obj file after clicking “OK” manually. But the weird thing is when I use the rhino command in python, “-export”, it was failed to export the obj file as below image.

Hello- are there any spaces in the path?

-Pascal

I checked the path, no space :sob:

Hello- I would update Rhino as Wim suggests. Does -Export from the command line work any differently than if run from Python? If so please post the lines of python code you are using to export.

-Pascal

I updated Rhino but it did not help. the command line is as the image.

Hello all,
Thanks for your help. I think I found the problem-- the layer should be visible before using the command.
It solved my error!

Hi Catrin - what exactly are you seeing? There is more than one problem, each with a different fix, in this thread.
Please also run SystemInfo in Rhino and copy/paste the result here.

-Pascal

Hello, I’m having the same problem with “the file writing plugin failed” when I try to export my model to obj, dae, or fbx. I’ve tried disabling and enabling it, loading the plug-in (the right click), and restarting the program, but still unable to export, with the same warning. I loaded the plugin and the “Yes” shows up, but after restart, it disappears again. If I don’t restart the program, it will give me the same warning. Do you know how to solve this problem? Thanks.