Emboss for manufacturing

Having problems creating emboss motif onto a poly. Trying to find this info with no luck. This level of detail seems to use the plugin “RhinoGold” which I don’t have nor can I use because I have the Mac version. My questions:

1. Is it possible to model this level detail emboss with Rhino 5.5 Mac or even the WIP 6 Mac version? If so, what are the commands/steps to achieve it?
  2. Is it possible to model this in NURBS and not meshes (since this is meant to be used for manufacturing molding)?
  3. Will I be able to use the Transform:Flow Along SRF command with no issues or some other command that wraps around after this detail emboss?

Here are some examples of the type of detail I’m talking about:

example

Thanks!

Hi @Dobey - I hope you’re doing well!

I don’t think there will be a RhinoGold version for MAC, but you might want to contact TDM Solutions directly to see what their plans are.

You could model this in NURBS up to a certain point, but probably you won’t be able to add all the nitty gritty details, nor would it be recommended imho. You could definitely model it flat and then use FlowAlongSrf to map it onto any curved surface.

Here’s a tutorial that might help you get started with the NURBS feasibility part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DWJ1R05mcc.

We are adding SubD tools in Rhino 7 WIP. You might want to try this version out.

Vanessa, thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely take a look at that tutorial and get back to you. For SubD, is that like the Rhino version of T-Splines? Seems like Mac version is really behind… :frowning:

Hi Dobey,

First I need to qualify my comment - I am a craftsman who works daily with CAD but there are others on this forum far more skilled than I. But what I describe is based on my actual experience.

• I have modeled this type of artwork using plain Rhino. Once I got over my initial internal resistance it goes much faster and can be controlled to a very fine degree. I ended up using a combination of the full palette of surface creation tools along with cage edit. I build base surfaces first then model directly on top of them.

• Once I completed some work that needed to be delivered on short schedule I started looking for faster tools and settled on Artcam. It uses a completely different system in the way it handles base surfaces and reliefs. I think it is ideal for this kind of work but unfortunately it has been discontinued by Autodesk.The original developers from Delcam who sold to Autodesk may be introducing a new software to replace it. If I had a lot of this type of work to do I would definitely look into this. Right now I just use a lifetime license of Artcam.

• I am looking forward to Sub D integration in Rhino. But lately the stability of service releases of Rhino has been particularly troublesome and since I need to produce work professionally I have become more cautious about relying on versions that are not ready yet for commercial release.

The items on the bottom were likely generated using some sort of specialized app, like that used for lithopanes. That’s not practically possible to model with NURBS or subdivison surfaces for that matter, it’s an obviously automated mesh process. The detailing on top, you can brute-force that with NURBS.

Lithophanes could be made with Heightfield … although a mesh generated lithophane might be preferred since the interpolation as a nurbs object could “melt” some finer details.

Thanks Abraham, I’ve looked at SubD and definitely excited about that too. As for other tools, since typically I’m not given this type of work, investing in it doesn’t seem interesting. On the other hand, I am pressed for time. Conclusion, I’ll settle for good old modeling and “unlazy” myself :smile:

Thanks cdordoni, yes I’ve tried heightfield too but it came out funky. Didn’t stay too long with that process though so I’ll give it another shot. I think my greyscales need to be reworked.

@JimCarruthers, yes that’s what I was wondering and I’m receiving more and more confirmation on this. Thanks for your input. I’ve very seldom worked with meshes and I’m not sure how that behaves when destined for molding. I’ll have to inquire about that. Any thoughts on meshes and manufacturing compatibility? Is that an issue or not?

For your top image, that can be done with NURBS.

I have done stuff like this NURBS only …

That being said I do also have T-splines, dead for at least 2 years and windows only, for my Windows Rhino5.

I did do lots of spirals and curly ques for jewellery that were then carved in wax. I can’t find any models and I don’t work for that company anymore.

«Randy

1 Like