Edge tolerance problem Rhino.Inside Revit

Hi guys, I was trying to get some geometries from rhino.inside revit from a file which was done without the absolute tolerance of 1 mm in Rhino as recomended.

I saw that @kike and @scottd had in other threads already addressed the problem. Especially I found this very interesting, Broken and/or shattered geometry result in Revit after baking - #6 by scottd, because of the possible work flow to follow to fix the geometry.

Specifically I am tying to export the geometry of a conceptual model ( which was done in metres with an absolute tolerance of 0.01) and these are the errors I get:

1. Geometry contains out of tolerance edges.
    Resulting geometry may not be accurate.

2. RhinoInside.Revit.GH: Input geometry is not valid.
    Distance from end of ON_Brep.m_T[0] to 3d edge is 0.512803. (edge tol = 0.000588638, trim tol ~ 0).
    Parameter name: Geometry

on the top of that I got this error on one big geometry:

grafik

There are many geometries in the file which have en edge problem and i would be able to identify and quickly fix them.
First thing is the problem related to any geometry which has edges that are beyond the tollerance of 1 mm, so any measure higher than 1,0 mm would produce an error?
any suggestion on a possible quick workflow to fix these imprecisions? and lastly would be possible to find a solution to brute force the process and somehow make invalid lenghts valid?

thanks for any advice

Federico

Even though the document tolerance is set high you can still get edges smaller than the tolerance for a variety of reasons, particularly if you are doing Boolean operations.

Hi @Federico_Giacomarra,

In this case your problem is geometry is far from origin.
What is the distance limit from internal origin point for imported geometry in Revit? | Revit Products | Autodesk Knowledge Network

hi!
thanks for the quick reply! i have just checked the model, it is 540 m big (maximum extents of the slab). I moved it right on the origin. But still some of the geometries are failing, on the same geometry this is the error i got :

1. RhinoInside.Revit.GH: Input geometry is not valid.
    Distance from end of ON_Brep.m_T[24] to 3d edge is 1.49592. (edge tol = 0.00149592, trim tol ~ 0).

on another one:

1. Using SAT…
  2. Geometry contains out of tolerance edges.
    Resulting geometry may not be accurate.
  3. Gap between current and previous co-edges in BRepBuilder: check that edge-curve orientations and co-edge flipped-flags are correct.
  4. SAT operation failed.

another more:

1. BRepBuilder cannot assign edge geometry for edge 8 due to inaccuracies between the coedge and its defining curve.

on these last 2 I can actually identify the edge which is failing, which is is great!

grafik

but on the first error 1. RhinoInside.Revit.GH: Input geometry is not valid.
Distance from end of ON_Brep.m_T[24] to 3d edge is 1.49592. (edge tol = 0.00149592, trim tol ~ 0).

is the problem still relating to the distance from the origin? that would be quite hard to solve because it they are all pretty much close to the origin…

This means you have invalid geometry in the Rhino model, using _SelBadObjects on Rhino you will be able to found this bad guy and fix it.
This is a good resource about the topic.

1 Like

all right! I see I have never noticed that was the message for a badobject! anyway what is stil not clear to me is how should I rebuild the geometry with curve-edge orientation and co-edges problems and inaccurancies? is there a link I can check?

thanks again in advance!

There is a good post here about this topic.

Thanks!!!