Display Modes Not Working

Never said it would… I just want @milezee to have a more favorable evaluation experience, and right now, he’s not getting that with the Intel. The issues are still being worked on regardless of which card he uses.

-J

@milezee,

Ok, I managed to reproduce some of the “tearing” effect you mention in Layout views…and I believe it is related to available video memory and the Intel driver’s ability (or inability) to manage it… I loaded 6 Rhinos, all with different models…Setup several layout views, assigned Artistic, Pen, and Arctic modes to a variety of them…and then started tweaking the models… Eventually in one of my layout views, things started acting flaky when panning and rotating…The image would “tear”, and I’d get black (or white) chunks stretching across the viewport port… Nothing I did within the model would make it stop doing that… However, I closed one of the other 5 Rhino’s I had opened and within seconds, the Rhino exhibiting the problem was now working. I reopened a 6th Rhino again, loaded a file… went back over to the Rhino with issues, and the problem was back…Closed another Rhino and the problem went away again… so clearly the issue is somehow related to the number of Rhino instances…and at the moment, the only thing I can come up with is video memory.

I did the exact same test again, using the exact same files, but using the Quadro K620 … and I saw no problem… Since the Quadro has twice the memory (2GB), I figured I’d open up 6 more Rhinos… So I then had 12 Rhinos opened…but still no problems showing… I opened up 2 more Rhinos (now 14), set them all up to run Turntable in a maximized view (some of them were even driving 2 viewports via the TestMooCow command), and let it cook for a while … still no problems whatsoever…no tearing, no black chunks… I grabbed a screenshot of it…

Also, I cannot seem to get my computer to act like yours… No amount of settings tampering (BIOS or Software) will cause the Intel 630 to be the Primary adapter…which IMO is how it’s supposed to be with onboard graphics chips… The only way I can get Rhino to use the Intel 630 here, is if I unplug the monitor from the Quadro and then start Rhino on the other monitor (again, which is how it should act)… However, it seems your system is acting the opposite (I think, you haven’t confirmed my latest requests yet). So someone, somewhere configured your system somehow so that the Intel is being used as the Primary adapter… So if you paid for the Quadro K620, then you’re not getting your money’s worth, since it’s not being used at all… Even though you have a monitor plugged into it, your Intel 630 is still being used as the Primary adapter, by whatever 3D graphics software you run, and your Quadro is simply being used as a pass-through to the other monitor…or at least that what it sounds like is happening based on what I’ve seen and heard.

I’m going to continue digging into the Intel 630 issues here…I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks,
-Jeff

@milezee,

Well, after a reboot…It seems that I now can configure my Primary Adapter to be whatever one I want… This wasn’t working before (for me), so I didn’t bother mentioning it…but now that it does seem like it’s working, here it is…

1. Right-click your desktop and select “Display settings” … see pic.

2. At the top of the dialog that appears, select/click the monitor that is connected to your Quadro… Note: It may be different than what I show in the pic…

3. On the same dialog, scroll down until you see the option “Make this my main display”… CHECK that option…you will see your monitors flash, and what was once on one monitor will now be on the other…

Now when you start Rhino, the Quadro K620 should be used since it’s now the Primary Display.

-Jeff

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, changed main display, now the Quadro is running, I’m hoping to test a few models with Raytraced this week, so hopefully this will help, downloaded latest build today- Version 6 SR5
(6.5.18119.19021, 29/04/2018), will work with it today :slight_smile:

@jeff Version 6 SR5
(6.5.18121.18551, 01/05/2018) , been running this version today seems a little more stable, still the odd flicker and glitch in when switching display modes, only had a few models open but no crashes or significant freezes.
Question for yourself and @nathanletwory, the Quadro is now selected to be running as the main display, have been playing with Raytraced, this is supposed to use the GPU yes ? It seems a little slow, and when I have looked at the Task Manager it is only around 10% of the GPU being used, CPU at 60% plus ? In the options, cycles, I don’t have the check box the enable CUDA as the rendering unit. Am I missing something here ? tia :slight_smile:
(screenshots attached)

Well, as you’ve noticed, it’s not even using the GPU for Raytracing… it’s using your CPU… I also wouldn’t hold out on that Quadro making any huge speed improvements in this area…My 6 core/12 thread CPU here destroys the Quadro K620 as far as Raytracing and Cycles is concerned.

That being said, you should still be able to configure the Quadro for CUDA rendering… It’s possible that your system has the Quadro configured for “Graphics only” and not “Graphics and Compute” … It’s found in the NVidia Control panel…

1. Right-click on your desktop

2. Select NVIDIA Control Panel…

3. Go to the “Manage GPU Utilization” (usually at the very bottom)

4. Make sure “Use for Graphical and compute needs” is selected

If that doesn’t do it for you… then perhaps @nathanletwory has other ideas/methods.

-J

Hi Jeff, yes the ‘graphics & compute needs’ is already selected :frowning:

On a further note, while testing the raytraced mode just in perspective model window it was really bad on the latest build, zooming in and out was nearly impossible, it kept springing back to the original view, and then trying to close down that test model was slow, I though t it was going to crash Rhino

Rendering Raytraced on CPU will have wrong looking results during rotation and scene manipulation. It will render correctly after the first full pass. It is on my list to fix.

No idea why your K620 isn’t showing, I don’t have a setup to debug with.

I guess I’ll poke around on my system to see if I can get it to act like @milezee’s.

-J

thanks Jeff, I’ve got a around 7 days left of eval period, I’m going to install latest SR for the rest of the week and see how it goes, at present I’m 50/50 whether to get the office to update from V5. I can see the benefits but the problems I’ve had a few times on this PC have sent me backwards as far as being productive is. I may see if the paymasters will get some new/better PC’s :slight_smile:

Ok thanks for all the feedback… It is unfortunate…but many of the display and rendering benefits added to V6 weren’t designed or targeted towards low-end graphics machines…and although things should still work (which we’re trying our best at the moment to make work), the “benefits” probably aren’t going to be all that great on machines that aren’t designed for such things… It’s possible that other products will run better or faster, but I wouldn’t expect them to on the given hardware configuration.

You may not need newer PC’s… depending on how old they are, you might be able to simply upgrade them to a better graphics card (something better than a Quadro K620 :wink: )… Might be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Thanks again,
-Jeff

well I’m hoping I can get that K620 to show up in options and work when using Raytraced :thinking:

I’m still trying to figure that out…I’ll let you know when I find something… But again… The K620 isn’t going to be that great at Raytracing… And the speed of K620 might actually be slower than just your CPU… depending on which CPU you have.

-J

1 Like

I may try and get a better graphics card plugged in the back, and hopefully some of Intel 630 issues will get ironed out in service releases, thanks for the support over the last week or so, much appreciated :slight_smile:

@jeff @nathanletwory ok, back to standard service release, all display modes seem ok, with the exception of Raytraced, crashes rhino every time
Version 6 SR5
(6.5.18122.14011, 02/05/2018)

Is that with the Quadro? Did you send in the crash reports?

yes Quadro running as main GPU, crash report window didn’t pop up, just ‘Rhino Has Stopped Working, Windows Closed The Program’,
Rhino 6 SR5 2018-5-2 (Rhino 6, 6.5.18122.14011, Git hash:master @ 838b619595143d054691fa5b4017504fa159911d)
Licence type: Evaluation, build 2018-05-02
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Miles Dexter ()
Expires on: 2018-05-09

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-DRIAS5A

Quadro K620/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.33)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-22-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9133
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Did a RhinoCrashDump.dmp file appear on the desktop (Not the 3dm)? If so, please upload to Rhino - Upload to Support with nathan@mcneel.com as recipient. Thanks!

1 Like

@milezee, thanks for the crashdump. I know what the problem is, and I’ll have it fixed in the morning - there was a change in code that in theory should not run, but apparently a safeguard got… optimized away… (read: I forgot to put it back).

1 Like

Fix for this crash should be in, @milezee, probably in the next daily build you should see better Raytraced stability :slight_smile:

1 Like