Display Modes Not Working

Using todays BOTD, seems to load files a little quicker, after opening a file and clicking on a layout tab (usually one with perspective pen mode) it seems to be quicker to view that layout, before it was taking a while to show the layout after first opening a model. However I just added a detail view, selected Arctic display mode, file stalled, Rhino closed that window.

Jeff, it seems after a period of use Rhinos display modes deteriorate, I have been using a lot of my older V5 files too which seem more prone freezing up. I’ve used V6 for around 3 hours today, multiple files, layouts and display modes, just opened a V5 file and display modes are broken, screenshot attached, although the option to choose a display mode hasn’t disappeared, they just don’t work. All the text in the notes panel of the text box in a layouts is also shattered.

Thanks @milezee,

Please remember to post the version you’re using with each report…since you’re on daily updates, I’m not sure which one (and therefore which fixes) you have. I checked in a ton of changes last night, and I don’t think you have them yet… Please pickup the latest BOTD as soon as you can and see if it’s any better.

Also, you’ve been saying “Arctic”, and so I’ve been testing a lot with that mode…but I now see that you really probably mean “Artistic”… I’ll test more with technical modes and layouts today.

Lastly, whatever became of the Quadro K620 situation?

Thanks,
-Jeff

It’s not the display modes deteriorating, it’s the video driver… And I’m currently trying to figure out if it’s because Rhino is handing it bad stuff (which it can’t deal with), or if it’s just plain, bad video driver code. I can get things to dump here pretty easily using the Intel 630… But, running the exact same tests on an NVidia or AMD card…things spin for hours without issue…never get them to dump at all. So either NVidia and AMD are just better at dealing with crap handed to them, or Intel needs to hire someone else :slight_smile: Still trying to figure this all out…

-J

1 Like

Or I suppose McNeel does … :wink:

1 Like

installed new release this morning, and just installed latest build about an hour ago, Version 6 SR5
(6.5.18116.3011, 26/04/2018)
Evaluation

Jeff the screenshot above was switching display modes from Artistic to Arctic, I;ve noticed a few times when selecting Arctic that the detail window just goes white. As for the Quadro K620, I just know it’s installed on this machine, I have no idea what it’s doing, I’m just an end user, practical & creative guy :slight_smile:

Ok, that’s got all my latest changes in it… So I’m very curious how things are working for you now…

As for the Quadro…I’d be glad to help you figure that out… Just need to see the back of the computer… pic?

I’m about to plug in a Quadro K620 and see how it does.

-J

@milezee,

Well… The Quadro K620 I have here is running circles around the Intel 630… It has twice as much memory (2GB), and in my current tests, it’s showing to be about 2x to 5x faster and very responsive…again, compared to the Intel 630. So far I have not been able to get it to crash or even show any kind of “quirkiness”… Pretty impressive for such a small, low-end Quadro…and obviously way better than the Intel.

I’m still digging into the Intel 630 issues…but if I were you, and wanted to get a better evaluation experience, I would plug your monitor into the Quadro and install the latest drivers… I’m currently using 391.33.

I’ll leave it up to you on what to do…

Thanks,
-Jeff

well this could be an option, I’ll look into it tomorrow when back in the office. Jeff, basic hardware question, I use 2 monitors on my workstation in the office, is it possible to run them both on the Quadro ? Or does one run on the intel, and the other on the nvidia ?

Video cards have output ports on them…and usually, the number of ports determine the number of devices you can plug into them. If you have 2 ports, then you can plug in 2 monitors… 3 ports, 3 monitors…4 ports, 4 monitors…etc. This holds true for every video card installed in your system… If you have 2 cards installed, and they both have 2 output ports, then you can drive up to 4 monitors. Sometimes the ports are all the same type, other times there’s a mixture of interfaces… For example: My Quadro K620 has 1 DVI port, and 1 DisplayPort… whereas most of my other Quadros all have only DisplayPort ports… The issue with this is that you will need a different kind of cable if they’re not the same…so again, using the K620 I have, I am having to use a cable that is DVI-to-HDMI, and a cable that is DP-to-HDMI…both HDMI ends going to the 2 different monitors.

However… the video memory usage will skyrocket once you start plugging in more monitors…especially if you run them at high resolutions…so just be aware of that… I’m assuming your Quadro has 2GB, so that will be a lot better than just 1GB, which is what your Intel 630 has. Using both cards to drive different monitors is definitely the way to go and helps alleviate that problem…but then you’d be having the same issues with the Intel that you’re having now.

As a simple test… I just plugged a second monitor into the Quadro K620 here… I have 2 Rhino V6.5s running on both monitors… One is running TurnTable in a maximized Rendered mode with a medium-complexity scene… The other is running a maximized Raytraced mode (configured to use the Quadro CUDA), using the same model (3dm file)… It’s struggling at the moment, but it’s doing it… and so far, no problems, quirks or crashes…

If I configure Raytraced mode to use my CPUs 12 cores, then everything works very smoothly.

Again, if you can just grab a picture of the back of your computer, I’d be able to answer these questions with more details.

-J

1 Like

I have to say…this tiny Quadro K620 is impressive… which means now that I said that, it’ll start falling all over itself :slight_smile: … so far, it’s been very solid.

-J

Version 6 SR5
(6.5.18116.19401, 26/04/2018)
Evaluation
seems to be a little worse, saving out a layout with a display mode set to Arctic only works when using the Rhino PDF option, the Adobe PDF, Microsoft PDF, and straight to printer just freeze up Rhino and make the rest of my PC unresponsive, it can take a few minutes to finally close Rhino.
Starting Rhino still seems slow, with viewports sometimes blacked out for a minute or so.
Not sure if this a wider issue, but after using Make2d, I then annotate this geometry to be used in a layout, I’m still seeing some of these annotations ‘shifting’, so I have to manually grab and slightly drag back into place.

That is most likely because of shaders being compiled - remember that you turned off the caching (a necessary step to ensure you’ll be testing the right shaders).

Hi Nathan, I recall it being like this before testing these daily builds, although it is more exaggerated now

With that many Rhino instances open as you have (6-8?) you’re probably pounding the Intel HD 630 hard :slight_smile:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

@jeff for your perusal :slight_smile:

Name NVIDIA Quadro K620
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13BB&SUBSYS_109810DE&REV_A2\4&167B469C&0&0008
Adapter Type Quadro K620, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA Quadro K620
Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes
Installed Drivers C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_3e99a8f1974383f2\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_3e99a8f1974383f2\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_3e99a8f1974383f2\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_3e99a8f1974383f2\nvldumdx.dll
Driver Version 23.21.13.8816
INF File oem37.inf (Section018 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xF6000000-0xF6FFFFFF
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF1FFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E07F
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967290
Driver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_3e99a8f1974383f2\nvlddmkm.sys (23.21.13.8816, 16.15 MB (16,936,528 bytes), 15/12/2017 02:03)
Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5912&SUBSYS_06B71028&REV_04\3&11583659&0&10
Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125827.inf_amd64_a38a3a8bfd154186\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125827.inf_amd64_a38a3a8bfd154186\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125827.inf_amd64_a38a3a8bfd154186\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki125827.inf_amd64_a38a3a8bfd154186\igd12umd64.dll
Driver Version 22.20.16.4836
INF File oem55.inf (iKBLD_w10_DS section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xF5000000-0xF5FFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000F000-0x0000F03F
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967291
Driver c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ki125827.inf_amd64_a38a3a8bfd154186\igdkmd64.sys (22.20.16.4836, 12.80 MB (13,422,528 bytes), 15/12/2017 13:51)

Hold on a minute… What does Rhino’s OpenGL screen show (I know you’ve posted it before, but a lot has taken place since then)? It looks like you’re already using the Quadro…and it should be overriding the Intel… It also looks like you’re not even plugged into the Intel… The Quadro is the thing in the bottom of your pic…and you’ve got a white DVI adapter plugged into it… I also see an empty HDMI port about center, and possibly another one…but can’t make out anything else.

It looks like you maybe have another HDMI going to another monitor…but I can’t be sure, and the cable doesn’t look like your typical HDMI cable… I’ve attached your picture with annotations… The 1 is what I’m assuming is your Intel 630 feed and the #2 is the Quadro… And since it’s already plugged in, then it should be the Primary display adapter, and it should be the one Rhino is using…which is why I’d like you to confirm again that Rhino’s OpenGL screen does indeed show it’s using the Intel 630.

If Rhino is using the Intel by default, then something is messed up with your configuration. The Primary adapter should always be the one in PCI-E Slot 0…unless otherwise overridden in the BIOS…and if there is nothing in that slot, then the onboard GPU is used (Intel 630).

Given this pic:

…here’s what I’d like you to do/try…

Close down ALL running Rhinos.
Unplug 1 (everything should jump to second monitor)
Start Rhino
Go to Options->View->OpenGL
Screenshot it

Then…

Close down all running rhinos again
Plug 1 back in
Start Rhino
Go to Options->View->OpenGL
Screenshot it

My guess is that the first will show Quadro, the second will show Intel… which is not right.

-J

It is not right only if it isn’t set to be the primary display

p.s. note though that having the nvidia be primary will not help in fixing the intel gpu problems :wink: