Display and captured image sequence gradually degrades

Hello,
I am generating a sequence of images for animation using Grasshopper. Somehow the images gradually degrade / break up after about 80~150 frame. There are several ways this can happen:

In Rendered view or Shaded view, if I turn on surface edge, the images will degrade by showing more and more edges that should be invisible like below.

If I turn off surface edge and turn on shadow, the image will degrade by showing more and more horizontal banding pattern. The pattern is mostly horizontal to the image, but it appears to interact with geometry as well. Eventually the image will become scrambled.

I tried different ways to capture the images, including animating sliders, using Ladybug’s Capture View component, and the script in this post: Capturing Rhino layout/viewport iterations - print or image export - Grasshopper - McNeel Forum
This issue persists.

Some experiments:

• I also tried to put the script component on top on GH canvas and it doesn’t help.
  • This issue also appears in Rhino 6.
  • Another person with a different computer and monitor also saw this issue using the same script.
  • The captured image size is 1920x1080.
  • If I set the view to the same display setting as the image, I can see the same issue in the view if it refreshes with the image capture.

Has anyone seen this before? Any solutions?

Best,
Peng

Hi Peng -

Can you post a file with instructions on how to reproduce that issue?
Also, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

Hi Wim,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay!

My original files were too large. I needed to replicate the issue with a simpler example. It took me several attempts. Now I have finally managed to replicate this issue with minimal geometry and Grasshopper components.

I think it is happening only when I use Human plugin’s Render Mesh to Screen
component
. It happens after I use the slider to capture about 100 to 200 images. It doesn’t matter how I capture the view. The artifact appears both in the viewport and in the image file.

In the attached Rhino file, I only have some boxes, and the GH script only adds a “progress bar” on the screen. I hope this example works on other computers as well. Please let me know if the artifact shows up and what you think.

Best,
Peng

Human Render Mesh to Screen Artifact.3dm (873.0 KB)
Human Render Mesh to Screen Artifact.gh (18.5 KB)

Rhino System Information:
Rhino 7 SR9 2021-8-10
License type: Commercial, build 2021-08-10
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0.18363 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [99% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-15-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 10-20-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 472.42
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-20-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7242
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 2 GB