Dimensions move constantly

Hi all

Very confused by the behaviour of dimensions in Rhino 6. In a layout, I dimension between two points. No problems. The minute that I do anything on that sheet (even just entering the detail view or clicking the lock button to lock the scale) the dimensions blow up all over the place and all need to be recreated.

This behaviour repeats in many small ways. The dimensions are constantly jumping around in layout views. Is there any way to fix this, or to just cancel the dimension history behaviour which seems to be more effort than it’s worth?

Hello - what service release are you running? Can you run the SystemInfo command and paste the results here?

thanks,

-Pascal

SR8:

Rhino 6 SR8 2018-8-28 (Rhino 6, 6.8.18240.20051, Git hash:master @ d037927543424e8b3ce54e46b435866178a6349c)
Licence type: Educational, build 2018-08-28
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Nico Jabu Van Loggerenberg ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: NICO-ACER-V17

GeForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.82)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-30-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9882
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\Nico\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2018.8.24.259\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi Nico - the 6.9 release is now available, can you please try that and see if it s any better? If not please send a file that has one of these dimensions to tech@mcneel.com, to my attention, and we’ll take a look.

@nicovlogg - does this happen with newly created dimensions or only on ones that were placed some time in the past?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal

Have just updated and the problem persists. It happens on new dimensions. See attached file - any action taken on the layout will change the dimension, even moving the detail view, pressing the scale lock button, or activating and deactivating the view.

dim problem.3dm (260.2 KB)

Hi Nico,
thanks for that file. I see that happening on aligned dimensions here as well.
RH-48833

Is there a way to disable the automatic update / history function of dimensions to circumvent this problem?

type History in the command line and set RecordAnnotationHistory=No.

Thank you, this works.

1 Like

I have discovered another frustrating dimensioning niggle. Even in isometric views, dimensions set to object (or manually entered) change as the view changes. A specific example is the height of the posts in attached images and files.

dim problem.3dm (333.4 KB)

Does anybody perhaps have help for this vertical dimension issue?

Hi Nico,
I’m not so sure about this one…
What are you trying to achieve? None of those lengths in your screenshots represent the real length of those boxes. In that isometric viewport, you get the projected distance and when you change the view, this distance changes.
cc: @lowell

Hi Wim

Yes, that is what I figured, and I don’t understand why that’s the functionality. I have no use for projected distances - what I need is to be able to dimension a 3D view as well to support my 2D dimensions, for example for a product. Is there any way to set this?

Hi Nico,
I would solve that by duplicating the edge that you want to measure and then place a leader in the layout. Use the Text fields property > Curve Length and then select that curve.

Hi Wim

I’m not sure where to find the functionality you mentioned?

Is there a way to put this on the wish list? In my view this is a massive failing of the dimensioning in Rhino - I really cannot understand why one might want projected lengths and not real lengths.