Diamond pattern along surface

Longtime Rhino user, but new to Grasshopper and really struggling. I have a plastic cover that needs some venting holes and I’m trying to arrange a diamond shape in a diagrid pattern along the outside surface. Hoping to also scale and use an attractor, but can’t figure out how to get the diamond shape to flow along the surface.

I have the shape moved to the nodes of the diagrid, but it’s not aligned with the target surface.

Also tried patterning the shape on the flat surface and after this use flow along srf, but can’t get that to work either. Any pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cover.3dm (8.7 MB)
Cover_Pattern.gh (5.8 KB)

A solution without Lunchbox. I used a Diagonalize component from Kangaroo to get a similar looking mesh, then sifted the face normals of all faces with 4 edges. The blue object is missing a surface.

Cover_Pattern_mrtn.gh (17.3 KB)

1 Like

Hey Mark,

A solution with Lunchbox.

LunchBox Solution.3dm (3.0 MB)
LunchBox Solution.gh (7.4 KB)

1 Like

Hi guys, Thanks for the help. I will check both of them out. Got to be honest, The solution from Martin Siegrist is completely Greek to me at this point, but I’m sure I will be able to learn a lot from both suggestions.

Thanks, so far

Just ask if you don’t understand :slight_smile:

Sometimes it also helps to hover your mouse on inputs and outputs. That way you can see what goes in and comes out on the other side.

1 Like

Haha, you might regret offering the help. I only started looking at Grasshopper last week, so I’m having trouble understanding even the most basic things at this point. I’m working through some tutorials from Parametric house at the moment to come to grips with the basics, but I really appreciate the help. Will let you know if I have any questions.

Check out the Modelab primer:

Grasshopper Primer — Mode Lab

1 Like

That’s great thanks, hadn’t seen that yet. Just downloaded it.

hi @Mark_Landsaat an alternative for your learning purposes… with custom (much faster) boolean :slight_smile:

Cover_Pattern_surface_based.gh (2.9 MB)

Hi Gijs, this is great as well. Looks like I have a lot to learn :grinning: Going to read through the Modelab primer that Martin suggested this evening and will look at the different solutions in more detail tomorrow. I will have to recreate them to better understand what is going on, but I sure appreciate all the help and suggestions.

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you all for helping. The customer had some feedback on a changing the pattern and with the definitions shared by you, I was able to piece it together. I don’t think it’s a “perfect” Grasshopper definition, but I learned a lot and the customer is happy. Images below are the new cover as well as the original one it’s replacing. Thanks for the help!