Cylindrical origami folding

Hello @DanielPiker
I was trying to simulate the folding of this origami using a slightly modified version of an algorithm that you proposed and I encountered two problems:

1. It does not fold evenly (in fact the first and the last layer have a smaller folding angle than the central part of the cylinder)
  2. It does not fold completely (because it reaches about 132° before crashing)

Maybe it doesn’t work properly because is not a flat pattern?

I would really appreciate if you could help me solve these problems.
Best regards, Alberto

origami_folding.gh (29.4 KB)

Hi Alberto,

A Yoshimura pattern as a complete cylinder like this is impossible to fold as rigid origami.
If you fold a half cylinder you can see that the angle between the ends has to change as the pattern compresses along the axis of the cylinder, but if they are joined into a closed loop there is no way for this angle change to happen unless the paper stretches.

Simulating objects like this which depend on significant in-plane elastic deformation is harder and the techniques used for rigid origami would need some modification. It’s worth considering first though whether the movement is even possible in the real world material you are intending to simulate.

Thanks for the explanation, I was not aware of the difference between rigid and deformable origami.
So if I use this algorithm in a waterbomb or tachi-miura cylindrical pattern it should give me a correct folding simulation right?