Fine turning this origami sheet fold

I was trying to mimic this image which shows the work of Ron Resch.

I have the geometry figured out and the folding, but there are still a couple thing that seem off to me.

First, the edges toward the outside of the geometry are folding more than the edges at the very interior. Perhaps this is normal for them to be more flexible because they are near the edge.

Second, it appears in the photo that as each edge folds, the entire assembly begins to bend into a dome shape. It would be interesting if this could be simulated in Kangaroo, but I think there is more nuance here than I may understand.

2018.06.12_mcneel_forum.gh (29.1 KB)

Hi,
Here’s a fixed version of your file:
2018.06.12_mcneel_forum_fix.gh (37.4 KB)
It looks like the behaviour matches the physical version pretty well :slight_smile:

The main problem was that your file had a different crease pattern from the one shown in your model image!
The actual Resch pattern spirals around, whereas yours had it translated, which I think gives something impossible to fold into 3d. If you ever have a vertex with all its connected edges as mountain folds, or all as valley folds, that’s a sign something has gone wrong, since that can never happen with a developable sheet.
Here’s a comparison (original on the left, fixed one on the right):

The other changes I made were some tweaks to the strengths, making the planarize operate on the mesh before triangulating it (and also connecting this to the show component, meaning you don’t need to sort the edges to show on the output), and a no-fold-through goal to stop it passing through itself.

Thank you for the help! I knew this would be right up your alley. This looks damn near identical to the image!

How are you able to make sure you do the planarize operation on the mesh before triangulating it?

I just meant connecting directly from the Mesh component to Planarize, instead of from the M output of the Triangulate component:

also, just for fun:

6 Likes