Cycles Render Testing

I’m playing with Rhino 7 Cycles render, using existing materials and environment.

54 Likes

This looks really good…how do you get the gems you need in Rhino? I have the gems in 3dm but to get all the colors is an issue for me. Like where do you apply the diamond decal or pic,?

@t.shinya- These are gorgeous! What parameters did you use? Like, environment and materials? Show me your ways!

@bcvallot -
I’m still learning and haven’t used many features yet, but here is my sample scene and setup.

Cycles sample.3dm (4.6 MB)

11 Likes

To be honest, I’m not sure. :slight_smile:
Rendering a diamond is a tough one.
For this rendering, I just used the sapphire material under gem.

1 Like

you could play with the index of refraction in a glass material. Typical glass is around 1.5 and diamonds are around 2.4.

2 Likes

So beautiful ~ :heart_eyes:
Thank’s shinya

1 Like

Russ, as long as the 3dm files you have are mathematically modeled after the proper cuts of the gemstones, using the default gem material with raytracing will product a fantastic result.

Here is a link to a render i did a few days ago

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch…just trying to get the best way. Recently watched a video on this using Rhino 7

Beautiful result.

2 Likes

Oooooooh! That is a delightful bit of filigree.

Is this NURBS or SubD?

1 Like

This was originally built with T-splines and converted to SubD using Rhino 7.
I needed a model for a model to test Cycles render.

1 Like

I couldn’t resist to throw your file at Maverick render. Just changed the materials to the build-in ones and used another lighting setup. I am still beginner in Maverick, but here is the result (2 minutes preparation and 10 minutes rendering on my very weak card).

1 Like

@nathan can you take a look at this?
I tried to recreate the image above and swaped from gem to PBR, but it appears Clearcoat amount isn’t registered with Cycles. No changes, no update if I up it to 10.

Cycles sample - Holo tweak.3dm (4.4 MB)

3 Likes

Looking great!!! :grinning:

My go with Rhino-Cycles

7 Likes

As a curiosity I did a direct comparison between Cycles and a full caustics renderer like Bella. Turns out cycles is pretty darn good. You do get more indirect bounces inside the sapphire with Bella, so there is a little more vibrancy there, but overall close.

Cycles:

Bella:

6 Likes

Wow, that is really nice! How did you manage to get so much reflections internally?
Is it mainly due to another HDRI?
I see Bella has that extra spark in the reflection on the gem, That’s what I tried to achieve with ClearCoat. Did you use the basic Gem material or something else?
And did you use linear fall off on the lights, or just the HDRI?

@Holo With Cycles all lights were left to their defaults (“constant” falloff). There is no HDRI. The gem is a basic glass material.(didn’t use gem material).

Here is the Cycles file:
Cycles sample.3dm (4.2 MB)

5 Likes

It looks amazing!
Thank you for sharing the file!

1 Like