Creating ripples on surfaces with attractor curves whilst controlling amplitude along the curve

Hello all,

I am trying to work something up based on some of the scripts in this forum post:

attractor-curve-move-xy-double-geometry

Below is an example of what I’m trying to accomplish:

The script posted by Joseph_Oster does a great job of introducing ‘ripples’ (for want of a better word) into the surface whilst being able to control the range of its effect, its displacement amplitude etc.

I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on how to modify this in order control the amplitude of the displacement along the length of the curve as well? Perhaps also using a graph mapper? (hopefully the pink sketch explains what I mean)

This thread addresses more issues and parameters related to creating “ripples” in a surface:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply Joseph, impressive stuff!

I’m going through some of the GH files you posted there, its very informative but I think I have misled with the title of my post…

I’m looking to create something better described as a ridge pushed out from/normal to a curved surface. I might need to try a different approach and come back with a more specific question.

Thanks again

I get the general idea of what you want from the image you posted but don’t recognize the GH model you attributed to me? You didn’t post a model of your own and frankly, I’m having some reservations right now about encouraging anyone to use Grasshopper. It’s a fun toy for sure and I’ve enjoyed ~six years of tackling questions like this one, treating them like crossword puzzles. But when I turn my attention to real projects of any complexity, Grasshopper isn’t delivering on its promise.

1 Like

Joseph, apologies I’ve made a bit of a mess of this post, I linked to the wrong thread.

I lifted the GH file from this thread: https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/attract-points-to-curve-for-resurface/90997/2 (Specifically your reply)

FWIW I think I’ve stumbled into the start of a solution. It seems if the graph mapper is set to linear and the curve driving the ripple/ridge (in the attached script named ‘Crv - Ripple Path’) is pulled away from the surface, the amplitude of the ripple/ridge is reduced.
If I can reverse this behaviour and have it act normal to the surface rather than in the Z direction it should hopefully suit my needs.

I had a glance through your post history, you certainly seem to have dedicated a lot of time into Grasshopper so I believe you when you say you have reservations. Is there any particular reason? Is there an alternative software or workflow you think more productive?
This is my first foray in to Grasshopper since having a short play with it about 5 years ago when I was a student.

20-01-17_Attractor_Resurface.gh (119.5 KB)

Your link is broken.

Hello @Joseph_Oster,

I don’t know what promise you talk about and what are your projects ? But you will find on this forum many examples of complex projects done using Grasshopper. The most emblematic for me is Morpheus Hotel cladding of the exoskeleton. I use quite the same tools myself and I can say that Grasshopper/Rhinoceros are very useful because of the library (Rhinocommon) and also to some very necessary plugins (Elefront like).