Crash and relaunch Rhino on Mac M1

Hi everyone,

I bought a Mac M1 6 month ago, and I still have trouble with Rhino 7. For exemple, I’m working on a 300Mo file and it crash twice a day cuz of out of memory. When I’m looking the activity monitor in the memory tab, it always mention more than 40Go of memory. Is someone have the same problem ?

Thanks a lot

Hi clembrx, I have a recent M1 mac as well, can you post your file so i can test?

Lets get your system info as well to get as close as possible on the setups.

Thanks.

upload privately to mcneel

Hi Japhy, thanks for your answer
I sent you one of the file.
I’m on macOs Monterey version 12.1 and I have the latest version of Rhino 7.

1 Like

Perfect, That’s my OS and Rhino version as well.

1 Like

Nice, keep me in touch :slight_smile:

I turned on the layers and will keep it active through the morning.

I do see the apple OpenGL artifact issue going on with everything visible. They are working hard on that one so make sure to get the next couple weeks Release Candidates for improvements.

So my particulars… looks like i need an OS update.

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-1-21 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22021.17002, Git hash:master @ e6833b9e7437d175ac5ad0c403d99d6f6fb970a2)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-01-21
License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple macOS Version 12.0.1 (Build 21A559) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Rhino is running in Rosetta2 on Apple Silicon
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,3
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

Apple M1 Pro (OpenGL ver:4.1 Metal - 76.1)

I’m sry, I didn’t understand what is the OpenGL and the Release Candidates. I searched on Google what is but I need you for an explication :sweat_smile:

something which lets your computer talk to the graphics card. an ancient version of that, your computer runs now natively metal, which McNeel is working on so that you can work faster and more sufficient.

go to preferences/general you can set the update frequency to release candidate.

To set your update frequency go to Preferences>General>Updates and set to Release Candidate.

^what encrephalon said, if you want to know more you can google ‘Apple depreciates OpenGL’

Ok thanks, I got it. So, you think that if I made the release candidate it will be better ?
It was the same problem with the latest IOS MacOs Big sur

Were you able to file crash reports? That would certainly help if this is a memory leak.

I’m not seeing anything that in the release notes that would indicate a solution to this particular issue.

I have one that is a little dated but that can help you.

Ok, so bad, I hope someone will find something :sweat_smile:

Can you send the crash report? I’m not seeing anything. Thanks

around 7 hrs in and no hang-ups yet. I’ve almost finished drawing your boat :wink: Hopefully the crash report will provide a clue.

What commands do you typically use?

Hi again !
I’m sry, I spent fews days in holidays. I hope you successed to finish the boat ahah
This morning Rhino crash again and I just send you the crash report, maybe it will help you to find something. For details, it was strange cuz it didn’t struggle before.
I was working on the 3D and 2 others files for the profile, and I usually use the offset, surface, move, copy, rotate fonction, those you need to create an object :sweat_smile: