CPU ANXIETY! Xeon® E3-1545M vs E3-1575 - WORTH EXTRA $600?

Stop yourself with the quadro, unless you feel like spending $ for no reason. Same goes for Xeon, it’s waaaaay overrated.

What you could do though is buy a dual or quad videocard setup for vray rendering.
Nvidia is what to go for, but no reason for quadro at all IMO.

CPU rendering is hopelessly outdated, so don’t go there.

You could also look to the cryptomining community they know how to set up these kind of workstations.
http://bedroombitcoinbeast.blogin.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Monster-Heater-Miner-8-Graphics-Cards.jpg
Yes 8 cards is a bit excessive and will set you back economically but 6 cards are easy to do.

Great rely, thank you!

Doing a laptop for now and then yes, prob a render tower.

Alan

This is what I’mlooking at right now, from Origin PC, though im going with a the slightly lower res monitor since i have a 4K monitor at home when i need it:

EON17-X 10 Series Pro - Single GTX 1080 — $3,917 (Customizable)
17" QFHD 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS G-SYNC Matte Display
Graphic Cards: Single NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB [VR Ready]
ORIGIN PC Professional Graphics Card Overclocking
Processors: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz (4.5GHz TurboBoost)
Memory: 32GB ORIGIN PC Approved DDR4 2133MHz (2 X 16GB)
Operating System: MS Windows 10 Professional
m.2 SSD Option: m.2 SSD OS Drive
m.2 SSD Drive: 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe m.2
Hard Drive: 1TB Samsung 850 Evo Series

Alan

1 Like

The only laptops I would ever recommend are the thinkpads. One of the p
models.
All the other brands might have nice specs but they all fail eventually and
servicing them is extremely difficult if not impossible.

I went through this same exercise of pain.

I decided to ditch the laptop idea as I found myself at the same desk all of the time and i didn’t have to travel as much - working in coffee shops didn’t work! :slight_smile:

I bought the desktop from https://www.scan.co.uk/ - really handy configurator to see what’s what, even if you use it and then go elsewhere for the parts.

Before I settled on the desktop I decided against renewing my MacBookPro and bought a decent set up from http://www.eurocom.com - which also has a decent configurator too.

The main issue I had was the heat… Using the laptop in a cold room on a desk and running Keyshot sent the temperature sky high to over 95 degrees. I had to send it back after a week or so…

I was caught between Alienware(Dell) - Dell (Main brand), MSI and Eurocom.

Make sure you don’t go totally balls to the wall with the power or you might end up baking it! :smiley:

Seems a lot of folks are saying that Xeon/Quadro combo may not be worth the extra loot. Was this for a desktop or laptop? And what did you go with in the end? Thanks!

Isn’t there the driver updating issue that makes AMD not work so great with Rhino and V-Ray?

@Alan_Farkas what machine and setup did you decide on finally? I like Origin PC, but really need 15" because I have to travel often and 17" is beastly huge. I will also have Rhino+Vray setup.

Hi Cartermarino,

as far as I know AMD Ryzen family processors work very well with Rhino and V-Ray, also reported here:

1 Like

@cartermarino I went with Acer Predator 17. Works well. I may have an issue with my GPU, but I don’t think it’s any sort of incompatibility with Rhino. Just a good 'ol computer hardware snafu.

Vray is really great with Rhino. I’m excited for it to update for the v6 platform.

FYI - I went with Acer Predator 17 with Geforce GTX 1080.