Ok, it’s time to build a machine to run Octane fast. The goal is to have a system to setup scenes for design reviews of CAD databases of final products, including exploded views of the entire product assemblies. I need something that can do teh following:
- live in my home office (manageable heat and noise when I’ll be sitting next to it)
- good Rhino performance
- ok CPU rendering speed (a 4 or 6 core i7 will do)
- main focus on GPU rendering for Octane.
- runs Windows 10
- it will be running it with one 4K monitor
Specs I have in mind so far:
- Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
- Asus Z170-WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
- G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3333 Memory
- Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
- Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card (4 units)
- Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl ATX Full Tower Case
- be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
- Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan (4 units)
Here’s a link to the parts from PC part picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GWyrWX
I plan to share the progress here so we can all learn and maybe someone else wants to build something similar.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and if you would consider changing anything.