Constant Crashes Today :(

using V6 eval, working on a relatively simple model, small interior scene, have already crashed Rhino 5 times, will probably go back to V5 if this carries on. have sent error reports and file, any ideas ? system info below :frowning:

Rhino 6 SR2 2018-2-23 (Rhino 6, 6.2.18054.19571, Git hash:master @ 18442922518a168fa49201009bbc1254b9b9598d)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

IntelÂź HD Graphics 630 (OpenGL ver:4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4627)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.4
Shading Language: 4.40 - Build 21.20.16.4627
Driver Date: 3-9-2017
Driver Version: 21.20.16.4627
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Users\mdexter\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2017.10.16.484\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

@milezee, Did you get the crash report window? Did you send the crash reports as suggested?

Hi Rodrigo, yes the crash report window popped up, checked the send file option too, its nearly at the point where its unusable, if it carries on crashing will revert back to V5 :frowning:

Do the crashes happen mostly when doing something with the environment? Or perhaps rather I should ask: do you have environments enabled in your scene? 360° env, custom reflection, skylight env ?

Also, do you happen to have another GPU in your system you could use as main display driver?

Nope nothing like that, only just started to build a small bedroom scene up, I do have 2 monitors running, it never caused a problem using V5 though, have attached the file Standard Bedroom.3dm (11.5 MB)

I ask, because I am able to get crashes on my Intel HD Graphics 630 as well - they all are related to the OpenGL drawing code that draws the environments.

In your scene you do have 360° env and custom reflection environment enabled. Could you try setting the backdrop to gradient or solid color, and unchecking the custom reflection env?

If disabling those two environments help, then I am pretty confident the problem you are seeing is what I have reported in our YT system. Please let me know, I can escalate the issue to get it the attention it needs.

/Nathan
P.S. the YT item: RH-44554

how do I get that window to pop up ?

That is the Rendering panel, through the Panels menu.

apologies, I never even use the renderer in Rhino, usually go over to Keyshot for that. I may try the new renderer in V6, I understand its much better :slight_smile:
Ok, settings changed, I’ll keep you posted if any further crashes happen, cheers

You probably will find that this change combined with not using Rendered mode (nor Raytraced - that will use in the background also the same OpenGL code to do some drawing you actually won’t even see) will help.

@milezee has the experience been a bit more stable with the environments turned off?

seems to be yes, it doesn’t seem ideal though having to disable these environments and not using rendered view port ?

@nathanletwory , not sure if this is your dept, when selecting an object, I don’t see the colour swatch of the layer the object is on ? Is this intentional ? screenshot attached Sel%20Object%20no%20layer%20colour

Ensure under Tools » Options > Selection Menu that Object Color is checked.

1 Like

Thanks Nathan :slight_smile:

@milezee, can I deduce from your silence you have had much nicer modelling experience since the changes made to your environment usage?

/Nathan

1 Like

yeh, no more crashing :). Is this a bug that will be fixed ?

We are investigating hard :slight_smile:

I’m sure you are :slight_smile:
Nathan, I understand you are the chap behind the new improved renderer in Rhino V6, I’ve always gone outside of Rhino to render, are there any tutorials on rendering interiors in the new V6 ? tia

4 posts were split to a new topic: Interior rendering with Raytraced