Recommendations please

Blender
3DMax
After Effects

1 Like
  1. Export model to Blender
  2. Do the rest in Blender as per your video
1 Like

Have you tried Maya or any other apps for this?

What would you use to composit a model into a simple photo (not an HDRI)

If it is a simple photo Iā€™d probably just try with Rhino, but failing that Iā€™d use Blender.

I know not how to use any of the other 3D packages, Blender has served all my needs. Even for the several short movies Iā€™ve been part of, doing the VFX, green screen work, integrating 3d elements into live action footage.

Well using Rhino BOTH the model and the photo are moved. I dont know how to import the picture as a static backplate so I can move the model to sit it in the photo.

Have you triied importing a Rhino model into Photoshop? .obj file format I believe

I need to learn Blenderā€¦

Set it as wallpaper, set in rendering panel background to wallpaper. Tumble viewport.

I made a short, unscripted video using a picture grabbed from some ikea page

I donā€™t use Photoshop. My tools for graphical work, outside of Rhino, are Krita, GIMP and Blender.

Thank you! That is what I want to do, but I failed to set the background to Wallpaper from 360 environment in the RENDER SETTINGS the first time I tried.

The next problem is that Rhino perspective is not a good match for the camera perspective, so the model is not proportionally scaled at distance relative to the car it is replacing in the Photo as indicated by the wheels.

When the front wheel is aligned with the car in the Photo, the rear wheel is too small, in fact the entire car is too small. Is there a way to change the way perspective is modeled?

There is currently no GUI exposing camera and sensor control in Rhino. In some future version possibly.

In Blender you have lots of control over camera properties. Additionally youā€™ll find in Blender movie tracking capabilities that help figuring out that sort of stuff, too.

There is some learning curve to Blender, but if youā€™ll be doing more of this type of work itā€™ll be definitely worth your while. I love Blender for compositing as well - Blender can be used as a node-based image editing and compositing tool without ever going to 3D, even though eventually youā€™ll find it useful to mix up the two workflows.

I decided to try Bongo finally to simply make the vehicle move along a road. Admittedly there are a lot of surfaces in the model, particularly the wheels, but it was unwieldy to say the least. The controls are really laggy. There is just too much to do in each frame I guess. Changing the viewport to shaded helped a little, but not much

Playing the animation in the rendered viewport resulted 1 out of every 20 frames or so showing. Rendering the animation to video cause the vehicle to travel through the fence at the side of the road. Somehow what you see is not what you get.

I thought I would try this before using blender because as soon as you export out of Rhino, all the material work is lost and must be redone, often not matching what I had in Rhino.
Then there is the learning curve with Blenderā€¦
Perhaps I am expecting too much from Rhino, but even a simple solution would be acceptable, like say a screen grab every frame and compiling that into a .avi file.
There is so much that needs to be adjusted before a final animation rendering each frame.

Hi,

Bongo can capture the viewport as one way to render the animation. You just have to set the Target Renderer to Viewport Display. This will be significantly faster than a full rendering for each frame, though the results wonā€™t look near as good. The Video Output section will work as normal with this as well so it can be encoded to an .avi file as well.

If you have a complex model with a lot of moving pieces than the view can slow down. If you want to provide the model I can look for the source of the slowdown.

Iā€™d really like to see this in the model. Itā€™s hard to diagnose through your description but that doesnā€™t sound like itā€™s behaving correctly.

What adjustments do you have to make that are particularly tedious?

Thanks for that response Joshua )
Cant provide model im afraid. but any box with 4 wheels and a lot of surfaces will do
I tried the viewport render. The position of the vehicle relatve to the wallpaper picture was also off in the resulting video file. What I see on the screen is not what I get in the video.
Adjustments that need to be made include sun angles, lighting strength, color of paint, slight bumpin the road surface, keyframe position on the timeline to ensure car appraches slowly from afar, and goes past rapidly, position of the model off screen (very tircky cos you cant see it so its trial and error) and thats without any wheel rotation .

What kind or which environment are you using? And which renderer? A discrepancy between the Rendered view and the raytraced output could be a rendering bug. Again, itā€™s hard to be certain without seeing it.

One way to help with positioning objects in the view is to run the Camera command. This will make the camera and its view visible in the scene. Then you can ensure the objects are positioned either inside or outside of it depending on what you want.

Using the curve editor (BongoCurveEditor command) can help control the motion of the objects so they appear correct. Hereā€™s the tutorial from the docs.

Not sure how to answer the Environment question. Is that Backdrop in the menu settings?
I have set everything so the name of the ā€œenvironmentā€ file is irrelevant.
e
How is Environment defined if not by the wallpaper, ground plane and lighting settings?

Im using Rhino Renderer.

I watched a few videos on using the curve to define the motion. The problem is not defining the keyframes, its the representation of the image in the viewport that does not match the video output

Are you rendering do different resolution from what you have in the viewport? Or rather: are you rendering to a different aspect ratioā€¦

Thats a good questionā€¦ let me check
FYIā€¦ i have almost 2000 polysurfaces in this model
I am also not clear how I can create a line for the model to follow in Bongo. As soon as I zoom the model to the first position, the line gets zoomed as well.

I gotta say the ANIMATE button is counter intuitive. Every other interface has an INSERT KEYFRAME button. Im not clear how to insert the first keyframe without moving anythingā€¦

Animation

1. In the timeline , click the Animate button.
  2. Select an object.
  3. Move the Timeline Slider to the tick where you want a keyframe to be placed.
  4. Drag or Move the object into position with the Rhino Move command.

and then what??? Turn off ANIMATE? Move to next keyframeā€¦ move modelā€¦urgh

Animation Overview#Object_Pivot#Object_Pivot#Object_Pivot#Object_Pivot#Object_Pivot#Object_Pivot#Object_Pivot

The Animate button toggles Bongoā€™s animate mode on and off. When in animate mode, objects and viewports remember their current location, rotation, scale, hidden state, and other changes for the current timeline slider position.

so if if I click the Animate button twice to turn it on and off it puts down a keyframe? no

I guess I could just animate several named views but that seems like a work around

It might be worth trying to get more acquainted with Bongo and follow a few of the tutorials

This can help you understand how Bongo structures the animation, create keyframes, etc.

OK lets try this cos im not explaining the problem very well
go here and use #3 as a wallpaper in new project

s

Then create a Bus CUBE with a long side BUT DONT MOVE IT with gumball in any direction

Then using zoom and translation ONLY (not sizing the cube object) in the perspective window, animate the cube to follow the road, growing in size from very small to full size and GO PAST THE CAMERA out of frame - 3 keyframes is fine.

My bus rotates as it goes past the camera. The long side of the school bus should be parallel with the yellow lines as it goes by the camera

Not sure what you are animating here. Hopefully not the camera.

1. Add a plane and make it the wdith and length of the road you need it to be till where the corner starts. Donā€™t move this plane, preferrably the end closest to the camera starts at around the world origin. Note that the road appears to be on an incline, so tilt the far end down.
  2. With the wallpaper active find move the viewport around until you get a pretty good perspective match. Youā€™ll need to get a wider fov as well to get something close. Create a snapshot of the viewport, or a named view, so you can get it easily back.
  3. Place the car object far into the scene, where the far end of the corner would be. Note that while you are doing this do not change the viewport orientation.
  4. Animate the car object location and rotation. Nothing else. In real world we arenā€™t changing size when moving, nor is the camera.

Thanks for the response Nathan!
Nopt animating the camera no.
Im really not clear how the car will be sized when it is far away?
If the model is scaled, the surfaces wont fit together perfectly so, the only way to do it is to zoom the viewport.
When you say ā€œadd a planeā€ I think you mean create a surface to represent the road.
(In the environment tab, ground plane is used only to create a shadow)

ā€œYouā€™ll need to get a wider fov as well to get something closeā€
How do you do that?
fov is determined by the proximity of the camera to the road yes?