Command-C copy stopped working

Just fired up the latest build (2014-06-30 (517)) to do some work today, and not long into my working session, Command-C stopped working. Command-V still works for pasting, and i can still copy from the Edit menu, but for some reason, the keyboard shortcut has stopped working, and only in Rhino.

I’ve had similar problems, but it seems like the second time I go back and cmd-C, copying does work. Even the first time (when copying doesn’t work) the command history shows CopyToClipboard, so it’s an issue with the copy routine rather than not receiving the keystroke.

I can not reproduce the problem. ⌘ c works fine for me.

Cmd-c works fine for me, except when it doesn’t. I haven’t found any pattern to the behavior except that sometimes I’ll cmd-c (and see ‘_CopyToClipboard’ appear in the history window) then cmd-v to paste into another window and nothing will happen. When I go back and repeat, the copy/paste works. Sorry I can’t give any better reproduction instructions.

I’ll attach my machine profile in case this comes up again and can be reproduced:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2014-06-30 (517)
OS X version: Version 10.9.3 (Build 13D65)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro10,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (null)
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1280 x 800
Displays: Color LCD

Third party kernel extensions
jp.plentycom.driver.SteerMouse (4.1.6)

USB devices
Logitech: USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 INTEL-8.26.34
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: None
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

What gets copied when pressing Command-C is dependent on the context. If a text field has the cursor, the Command-C is sent there first. If you have any floating panels active, they also get a chance at processing the copy request. Likewise, if the command options dialog is active, it also gets a chance. The modeling window is down the priority list from those items. I suspect the Command-C is getting processed by something other than what you expect.

Your example of switching to another modeling window, paste doesn’t work, then return to the original modeling window will change what window has the keyboard focus, and supports the scenario I suggested above.

You didn’t mention what kind of thing you are trying to copy. Are you copying selected objects, or something else? That information would help understanding what you are doing.

Hi, Marlin

You may be onto something here, and i think i’ve been able to replicate the problem.

I was trying to copy and paste elements from one file into another. I would right-click on a layer in the source file and select “Select objects in layer”, then hit Command-C. Switching to the destination file and hitting Command-V would result in previous clipboard contents being pasted.

I paid careful attention this time, and this is what i discovered. If i right-click directly on the layer and choose “Select objects in layer” then the correct contents are copied.

However, sometimes i will left-click on a layer in the Layers panel first (e.g. to select a layer or make it visible prior to copying its contents), which results in the Layers panel being in focus and not the contents of the model window.

What’s tricky is that there’s no visual feedback on the panel like you would have on a floating palette (dimmed title bar and close buttons, for example) to indicate that the Layers panel is in focus or not. It was only after switching to the destination file and back to the source file that i noticed the blue or grey highlighting on a layer is the only indication of the Layers panel being in or out of focus.

For example, here is what the window looks like if there’s no layer selected, but i click in the Layers panel:

If i click in the modelling window, there is no visual feedback that the modelling window is now in focus.

If a layer is selected and i click on the layers panel, the selected layer is highlighted:

And if there is a layer selected and i click on the modelling window, the selected layer greys out:

So it seems there is nothing FUNCTIONALLY wrong, but perhaps there could be better feedback to the user when using the single-pane rendering mode that one of the docked panels is in focus… perhaps a blue highlight around the panel? OR maybe greying-out the blue highlight of the active view pane in the modelling window? Or both. :slight_smile: