Cloud license nag screen

I have one V6 license that I share between my home and work machine. Every time I go home or come to work and start Rhino on one or the or the other machine, I get the following:

Is this really necessary? What purpose does it serve?

–Mitch

If I recall correctly, since you cannot use that single license at the same time in both machines, when you start using one machine the Rhino session in the other machine gets suspended, and interrupted with this dialog. So think of the dialog box as a toggle that switches between the two.

There are 30 kilometers between the two machines and when one machine is on and Rhino is being used, the other is either off or sleeping and Rhino is closed.

Ooh, I thought you left the computers turned on, with Rhino running. Yeah, that makes no sense then.

Yeah - I guess the clue is in the message itself - “Your license is or was in use…” Looks like the system has no idea that Rhino is closed on the other machine.

Hope you don’t mind a slightly OT question. Do you have to release the license manually or is it released back to the zoo when you close Rhino? I have other software where it’s a real pain if you forget to release then get to work and find you can’t run the program because it’s still signed out at home.

Thanks Mark

Mark, with the new cloud license you don’t have to release it manually, in fact you don’t even have to close Rhino on the other machine. So no preplanning needed. You don’t even need to have internet access everytime you launch Rhino, only once in a while. I forgot what’s the time window before it needs to connect back to the internet, a few weeks I think.

1 Like

I assume it’s “automatic”… (otherwise you’d hear me screaming) In any case, I don’t see any manual method for releasing a license except by closing all instances of Rhino.

If that “other software” is RhinoCAM, there is a little checkbox at the bottom of the “register” screen to automatically release the license when Rhino/RhinoCAM is closed…

–Mitch

1 Like

Options>Licenses tells you:

Right.
When the license is in your personal licenses in CloudZoo, you have the option of remotely taking the license.

If you had left your home machine busy running some long process, you probably don’t want to take it’s license.

If the license you were using was in a “Team” instead, and it was in use, then you do not get to remotely take it.

Still does not explain my situation which is “none of the above”…

@gustojunk and @Helvetosaur Thanks for the replies. That sounds nice and simple, the other software is ZW3d their license manager is easy enough to use just need to remember to release before closing.

Thanks Mark

Sorry, I don’t see the specific message or question your “none of the above” comment is directed to.

If you had left your home machine busy running some long process, you probably don’t want to take it’s license.

Not applicable in this case, other machine is off.

If the license you were using was in a “Team” instead, and it was in use, then you do not get to remotely take it.

Not applicable in this case, license is an individual license.

OK.
The ColudZoo does not reach out to see if your other computer is running or not. It received a request some time before and issued a lease.

You are being asked if you want to break that lease and issue one to your current computer.

This design makes it possible to run Rhino off-line with only in intermittent Internet connection.

The license still is one license, one machine at a time.

Yep, that was my conclusion from the empirical evidence… The responsibility is shifted to the user.

I have no real problem with this, just that I anticipate other users/clients asking the same question.

–Mitch

1 Like