Clipping Plane Fill - again

I feel like I ask this every 6 months, b/c I can’t get it to work. I just need it to be solid. Preferrably in Pen Mode, but I’m a little open to whatever works.

It’s always when I need to do it right now, and then I can’t.

Rhino 6 SR8 2018-8-28 (Rhino 6, 6.8.18240.20051, Git hash:master @ d037927543424e8b3ce54e46b435866178a6349c)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-08-28
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Alan Farkas ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-NUQN85K

GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.35)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-23-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9135
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.3.1.650\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 6.8.18240.20051
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2018.8.24.259\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hello - so… if I understand, fills do not show as solid with the clipping plane - I can’t remember 6 months ago at all, but is it always, sometimes? Any object? If it’s not any object, please post a file that has an object that shows the problem. There are a few clipping-plane-fill-related bugs on the heap as it is, I can’t tell if this is a separate one…

-Pascal

Here’s a thread on this topic which goes back 4 years and includes quite current posts .

I have accepted that clipped fills will not work on my system at the moment (I draw them in layout space with a hatch), and it appears that there are others for whom they never have. Sometimes they display in a project (usually not in perspective) but they never print. This is unfortunate because they’re a crucial tool in displaying cross sections in drawings, especially the complex ones which Rhino offers unprecedently refined tools to create.

I believe that fills will appear and can be reliably captured in/from Model Views directly, But not as part of a layout.

Ok thanks for the info. I’ve moved to Section Tools. I’ve tweak some settings, reada bit more, and it seems to work really well. If you haven’t checked it out yet, I’d go for it!

Here’s the brand newest update to the installer (fixes something I was having trouble with earlier today)

https://www.rhino3d.com/download/sectiontools/1/wip/rc

Thanks Alan.

Pascal, what do you say? I notice on of the posts on the other thread I link to has “Section Tools” listed on his system report (in a post) yet he’s reporting it doesn’t work for him. Can you confirm Alan’s recommendation?

I’m on to Section Tools too. Looking for a support forum for it.
I can’t get undo to work on it.

Clipping PLane fill seems to be a bit improved since my last post on this in September.

At least it seems to be consistently printing in the correct color, which is a huge improvement.
What I’m after in the above print is a solid green fill on the architectural shapes, which are set to render in section as a solid fill.

I welcome any workarounds for these problems:
Issues:

1. The result contains unwanted shadows which display with one set of anomalies and print with another. (Items A, B, and D.)
  2. The human figure objects in the rendering are set not to have a solid fill. They display without them but print with them
  3. Part of a furniture object displays unclipped and prints clipped…