Chamferedge ruins extrusion

I trying to chamfer the edges of this box extrusion. I chamfer one edge and the top surface is removed without the edge chamfering. I tried chamferedge with distance 0.1", that works fine. It’s once I try very small chamfer distances, such as 0.001", that glitches appear. The file units are 1/128, so I don’t know what is going on here.

Upload a .3dm file with sample geometry.

My guess without a file to look at is the file absolute tolerance is 0.01 or 0.001. Absolute tolerance should be at least an order of magnitude smaller than the smallest feature of the geometry or problems are likely. That means for a chamfer of 0.001 the absolute tolerance should be 0.0001. But very tight absolute tolerances can lead to “heavy” geometry. Understanding Tolerances [McNeel Wiki]

If the small chamfers are for appearance in renderings and similar you might use edge softening instead. Edge softening properties | Rhino 3-D modeling

Hi David,

I lowered the file absolute tolerance and now I am able to chamfer edges with small distances. Thanks for the help, the tips, and the quick response!
Good night.

1 Like