Catch "Maximum computation time was exceeded." message

Custom?

Is there a way to catch the “Maximum computation time was exceeded.”-exception, and display a custom message to the user? Via the API?

Currently often multiple popups appear and disappear seemingly randomly, making it a very messy experience.

Notification?

The messages also mentions the designer will be notified, but I never receive notifications when a model breaks. Can that be fixed?

Clearing cache?

This post on the same topic mentions clearing the cache:

Is there a way for me/designers to do this?
It can be handy for (re)loading external files via URL, since those are also cached.

I just tested and it seems that the updateAsync() function fails to return an error when the maximum computation time was exceeded. I filed this as a bug and will let you know when this is fixed. Once this is done, the way to catch the error will be to catch if the promise returns an error.

In this case, it is not really a bug but a discrepancy because this feature was planned but never fully implemented. We will look into adding this notification on the new platform which will be released in the first quarter.

At the moment, this is only a feature for the platform admins. We have discussed making it available to Pro users, I will let you know once we reach a path forward.

All clear, thanks Mathieu!

I have a simple model that is usually fast in terms of computation time and has a cheap mesh, but seemingly randomly it sometimes exceeds the max computation time.

We want this model to go live and cannot have this error.

Step 1

• Error catching as above. Is this fixed?

Step 2

• Insight in why a model breaks. What tools do you offer?

Hi @mathieu1,

• Can I share with you to the model that is giving the max computation time error?
  • Can you please update me on the error catching. This is a prerequisite to go life, so we do need your input on this.

Please do share your model so I can investigate your issue.

Regarding error catching, there is still no notification implemented when an error happens. However, Business accounts now come with a computation analytics tab which lets you explore all recent computation and export requests and show which ones failed and why (computation time, output size, etc…). This should give you a good overview on how the model is behaving.

Thanks, I shared the model via e-mail.

• What is the expected timeline for this fix?

That sounds good; I hope you can find what is causing the time limit error on my model!

In my model, Currently when the maximum computation time is exceeded, the user just sees a blank screen, not the usual error message.
@shwdehaan have you in the meantime managed to catch the “Maximum computation time was exceeded.”-exception, and display a custom message to the user?

In one of the webinars I heard that this should be possible but I can’t find the instructions in the documentation. If someone could point me to the right source, I’d be grateful.

Nope, last time I checked this was not possible.

But we managed to fix the error, so I didn’t try to catch the error recently.

I guess @mathieu1 can enlighten us!