[BUG REPORT] Switching from raytraced to other view crashes Rhino!

Hi,

I’ve noticed a super annoying bug in the latest version of Rhino 6 for Mac (6.20.19323.01022, 2019-11-19), where switching to a raytraced view and then back to another one makes Rhino crash!

Please fix this!
Thanks.

This is not a general problem.
I can’t duplicate the issue.

Does this happen only in a specific file for you or all files?
If you start a new file, draw a sphere, go into Raytraced and then into something else like Shaded.
Does that crash?

In general, I’ve noticed that the view change from Raytraced to another view (i.e. Ghosted) takes way too long! The beachball spins at least for 2 to 3 seconds and then a coin seems to get flipped. At heads the switch happens, at tales Rhino crashes, or vis versa!?
The crash seems to get favoured when dealing with Grasshopper geometry that doesn’t exist in Rhino (?).

I don’t know how else to describe this! I’ve encountered this bug numerous times in the last couple of weeks with different files. What is even weirder is that the performance of the view switch is sometimes better for bigger files and laggier for very simple files (i.e. sphere).

Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the results.
Maybe something will stand out.

Here you go:

Rhino 6 SR20 2019-11-19 (Public Build, 6.20.19323.01022, Git hash:master @ f60ce76e397bba419469ae5277fc1578641caa3a)
License type: Educational, build 2019-11-19
License details: Stand-Alone

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G2022) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,3
Machine name: XXXX’s MacBook Pro
Language: en-LU (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro 460 OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-2.11.21)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 460
Displays: Thunderbolt Display (109dpi 1x)

Graphics processors
Intel HD Graphics 530 (1536 MB)
AMD Radeon Pro 460 (4 GB)
Thunderbolt Display (2560 x 1440)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Apple Inc.: iBridge
Apple Inc.: USB3.0 Hub
LaCie: Rugged USB-C
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Display)
Apple Inc.: Apple Thunderbolt Display
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Apple Inc.: Display Audio

Bluetooth devices
Unknown:

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 6.20.19323.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.20.19323.1022
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.20.19323.1022
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.20.19323.1022
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 6.20.19323.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.20.19323.1022
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 6.20.19323.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 6.20.19323.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” 6.20.19323.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.20.19323.1022

Thanks!

I don’t see any obvious problems there.
We have added some additional fixes for SR21.
It’s the Service Release Candidate now.

If it were me, I’d try it and see if it helps.
In the Rhinoceros pull-down, choose Preferences.
Go into the General tool.
Towards the bottom, change the Update frequency to Service Release Candidate and click Check Now.
Download the SRC and install it, replacing your current SR20.

See if that works better.

OK, thanks John! I’m familiar with the Service Release Candidate option. I’ve used it in the recent past, but turned it off, since I rely on a more or less stable Rhino.

I agree, I would not normally leave SRCs turned on.
If this fixes the problem, please let us know.
Then I’d switch back to SRs.

OK, will do!

Back to report that the issue still persists in Version 6 (6.26.20147.06482, 2020-05-26)!
I really can’t believe that nobody else has encountered this!!
Might it have something to do with Grasshopper displaying the scene objects and Rhino being empty? Or even the Custom Preview component?

To be totally frank, this makes Raytraced mode unusable on macOS!

Here’s a video of the behaviour! I switch from Ghosted to Raytraced, and later back to Rendered and Rhino crashes as expected.

Starting at 00:13, the cursor turns into the spinning beachball, which QuickTime failed to capture. On macOS, the beachball is usually an indicator that an application has crashed.

I hope this is prove enough!

You can grab the Grasshopper file here. There is no Rhino file to speak of, just an empty document in mm (small scale).

You seem to miss the point.
You don’t need you to “prove” there is a problem. We believe you!
What we need help with is Repeating the problem here.

We need all of the files and specific details so we can duplicate the problem here.
Then we can figure out what is causing it and hopefully fix it.

As mentioned above there was only a blank Rhino document (mm, small scale) and I’ve linked to the Grasshopper file. Details are provided in the video as well as description! My system information is also already in this thread. There was no error report.