Best tool to create a Celtic solitaire ring

Hi, I would like to create a solitaire engagement ring With a basic half shank. My question would be what would be the correct way to make the celtic top shank? The center stone would be intertwined with the Celtic on top.
Should I create the curves on the initial circle itself or use flow along curve? Or any other alternatives. I assume I would make one side and simply mirror it.

Thanks for reading and the help.

Sweep 2 with history is your friend here for the trinity knot.

Make 3 circles that are offset

Polar array them around world 0

Trim them up

Draw a cross section profile and orient it with copy to the ends and overlaps

Sweep 2 with history enabled

Polar array the sweep result

Alter mid cross sections for the over under look.

2 Likes

Thank you @Trav. That makes it more clear for me.
To put the knots on the ring, would one use flow along curve to bend it to the top shank?

Yes, Flow would be good if the knot bends in only one direction. If it’s also curving across the width of the shank, you could use FlowAlongSrf.

1 Like

@Ryen yep, Brian beat me to it. Bend or cage edit could also be useful.

@Trav @BrianJ excellent! Thank you both so much for the help. The curves will bend/twist the width of the surface so I will give flowalongsfr a go.
Again thanks for the help in leading me into the right direction!

1 Like

@Ryen knowing how to do this in vanilla rhino is time well spent. But if you are doing this a lot and you make money from it sub-d is a tool that should be on your list IMO.

Make the repeating segment in sub-d. I use T-splines which is no longer available but you can still buy Clayoo. Nice round soft shape from the start like in your photo.

Apply radial symmetry.

Adjust your heights until you get the shape you want. With radial symmetry adjusting one segment will modify all three.

Now you can go back to using Rhino tools to flow or cage edit to shape into your ring. Less than 10 minutes work in t-splines. HTH

@sochin amazing! Thank you for the steps you displayed out for me! I agree that it has been taking me sometime in just rhino, so I may look into Clayoo. However I am not certain I’ll make many more like this. Been using rhino for about a year and a half and trying to prove it’s worth investing to my boss. So all this advice is surely appreciated and I can now tackle this Ring with multiple points of view with out spending countless hours dazed and confused.

Your welcome. Most jewellery designed in cad is cast using 3d printer resins as you know. That is what I do, design, print & cast in house.

Your enemy in a lot of cases with casting resins is sharp edges especially in the very fine sizes we work with for jewellery. Firstly because they look ugly in render/design and secondly because those sharp edges can break off in the casting investment and ruin your metal. Resins are harder on casting investment than wax.

In plain Rhino filleting edges is the solution. Now do a search for filleting problems on this forum. Sub-d produces filleted edges so easily.

Both Clayoo and T-splines run inside Rhino …and McNeel are working on Sub-d for later versions. If you are making any sort of money in CAD Jewellery sub-d pays for itself in a week or even a day IMO.

This ring is 100% t-splines. The green lines are symmetry planes in the geometry…quad symmetry on the band and both axial and radial symmetry applied to the setting. The whole model updates live as you work on a section. Less than an hour to make. Changing the ring size or setting size later is too easy.

Good Rhino skills are a must first IMO… but if you are serious about making jewellery fast then sub-d is also a must for the tool box. Paying for t-splines was the easiest spend I ever made as a business owner. I make almost everything in sub-d now. Good luck.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/5nFDUD5sCTU