Beginner problem with surfaces (signet)

Hi! Im an idiot beginner and im stuck trying to surface a ring shape.

I have done the sweep2 on the shank. But somehow making surfaces on the sides turned out to be a big problem. I did find some solutions that worked. However i could never get it to become an closed polysurface at the end. Surfaces seemed to have gaps inbetween them, which i cannot figure out why.

How would be the best way to surface the sides? ive have drawn to lines from top face to bottom of shank to illustrate somewhat my idea.

And then how would i make sure that it becomes a closed polysurface or solid ?

This has been discussed before. I’m sure you’ll find this helpful. Struggling With a Shape

1 Like

Hmm are you sure? Those threads deal with curved blended surfaces. While here i need to have two sharp corner edges on those blends aswell. :confused:

Is this what you are trying to achieve @survivalist?

Project the inside ring curve to the outside using _Crv2View

Create those curves that run down the outside of the band and then split them so that you can join these two.

Now you are going to sweep 2 rails using that curve you just joined and the others shown.

Next sweep the centre face.

Mirror it on the x axis.

Apply quad symmetry around zero with your corners.

Select your top curves and create that using PlanarSrf.

Take the outside curve that you created with _Crv2View, mirror it on the x and then loft it to create the inside surface.

Show your original surface and then join it all up.

Bit of a bevelled edge on the bottom of the shank but maybe that is what you were after? If not then add another straight line further up the two lines that you sweep to create the corner pieces. HTH.

2 Likes

Sochin! I am stunned by your kindness :slight_smile: Yes this is exactly what i want to do.

I did try to do it almost the same with splitting up octagon curve and curve along outside of shank to join surfaces, however it failed cause i did not figure out to also offset the inside curve to get the side surfaces as good as you have demonstrated. I ended up with this and it did not turn out as i wanted with side profiles.

I gave up!

“Projecting the inside ring curve to the outside using _crv2view” was the key here.
I am very grateful that you took the time to help me out :smile:

Thank you!

Here’s how I would do it with the overbuild method. With this method you can fillet all the edges.

Interesting, I do like this design with the flat sides.

however im not sure how you built the ring from the start there. Here i can see you used a surface and tube to split/boolean? edges and hole. But im not cad-intelligent enought Yet to figure out the process how you got there :slight_smile:

Survivslist,
There is an excellent three part video for making a 3D graduation ring on you tube that is by a person from McNeel. I personally downloaded all three videos early on when I first started playing with Rhino 4 if you do the same and work on this ring until you make the design you will have an excellent overview of many of the aspects involved when doing this type design. Here is a link to the first of the three parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQoVljNVFc

I have been at it for awhile here is an image of a ring I did using Rhino and Brazil.
All my best … Danny

You are welcome @survivalist.

@Stratosfear is spot on here in that eventually you are going to want to fillet those sharp edges. He is really good at that in Nurbs.

Mainly because I am not so good at filleting in Nurbs I prefer to work in SubD modellers as much as I can as it gives you filleted corners right from the start. I also find SubD modellers much easier to make alterations with.

If I was to make your ring I would first create the shell in Clayoo or T-Splines.

Then convert it to nurbs and cap the inside and outside.

Final step would be to fillet the top and inside edges. SubD modelling is something for you to look at once you get the basics of Rhino. Another tool to add to Rhino.

Most important thing first is to get a good grasp of Nurbs in Rhino. The videos that @lopacki linked to are great. You should study them. Good luck.

Thank you again Sochin. So the photos you shared is this made with clayoo or t splines?
I will def try to learn that aswell. I have seen the modeling style of blender and thought it would be really useful. Seems that is what is called sub d modelling. Great that there is plugins for rhino to do just that.

I use Clayoo @survivalist however it is quirky software to say the least but I am used to its flaws so it no longer bothers me.

It has not had long term major bugs fixed or any major update for a few years now. Upside is that if you are a Rhinogold user then Clayoo comes free with it.

From my use of the demo version T-splines is better software IMO.