4K Display on WINDOWS - Fixed

Focusing on different OS’s doesn’t really make any difference.

I can see that you wouldn’t want to devote a lot (any?) time to getting this into V5, but perhaps when you get it working in V6 your curiosity will get the best of you and you will put it into a special in-house build of V5 and see if it works as it should. Then if it does, maybe it could be put in a V5 service release as a feature to make life easier for 4K users on V5. 4K is already mainstream and who knows how soon V6 will be ready for prime time? Maybe by the time V6 is ready, 8K monitors will be mainstream! :wink:

If we ever hope to have a V6, I very seriously doubt it’s ever going to make it into V5.

For lower resolutions, the V5 menu bar system was/is a great upgrade over that found in V4. Thank you.

I am sorry that the GUI in V5 were not coded for resolution independence, but perhaps I am not the only one : O

If you search for 4K monitors in Amazon there are plenty for under $500, which implies that they are entering mainstream, now. A few months has changed a lot!

[A 3840 x 2160 monitor is now cheaper than my old 1920 x 1080 monitor was, back when V4 came out. There’s no way I’m buying another 1920 x 1080 monitor.]

I believe that potential customers may view 3K/4K issues with version 5 as stating that Rhino does not perform well on high-performance or what will be wired to the average computer, when V6 will be in beta.

[For V6, I am looking forward to threading and display speed improvements. I want block manager improvements. I want some rudimentary bill of materials system, at least as good as DesignCad : ) I want to stop telling Rhino that I material by object. I would like NOT to explode an object to quickly apply materials to each surface. Perhaps automatic file compression option 7zip’ing of files…]

But, unless you have some completely revolutionary menu bar design in the works, waiting to change this until V6 is out, might make V6 seem less than an achievement as a restorative patch.

Came across this fairly recent hi-res (aka 4k) for Windows setup guide today while trying to help someone, mainly because I was too lazy to type out all the instructions… :sob:

While the setup guide may not solve specific Rhino/Grasshopper woes, it is still a good go to for those with 4K now.

Note the Win 8.1 recommendation. Though not mentioned, Win 10 is supposed to be targeted right at hi res displays.

Just bought a Dell M3800 with 4K display. The UI is way too small for comfortable, prolonged use. For the number of users who are buying these displays, I think it’s a good reason for something to be implemented now in V5 to increase UI size. The user experience that I have just experienced moving from a 1080P to a 4K display has just nosedived… And my neck is going to start hurting soon!!

HI
Making those kinds of changes is V5 is probably too dangerous and risky. That work is happening in V6.

My best recommendations for V5 are still as follows:
In the Windows Control Panel, use the Display applet to increase the size of icons and text to 150%-200%.
Then in Rhino Options - Toolbars - Sizes and Styles, set the icon size to large.
That should be much better.

Thanks John. I’ll give it a try, I’ve played with the pixel thickness per object which also helps especially for points.

I also just bought a Dell M3800 with 4K display… Feeling pretty down about the rhino experience on it (the reason I bought the m3800) even with @John_Brock suggestions it still looks tiny and difficult to work with! will windows 10 change anything?

Will V6 be released soon? As everyone I know and work with are buying 4K displays and also experiencing a sub par rhino experience. Can anyone recommend similar software in the meantime until V6 is released as V5 is to tiring and frustrating to use like this?

Thanks!

Windows 10 is purported to improve scaling noticeably, which should help apps, such as Rhino 5 Windows, not written for the 4K+ revolution. I have not tried the Win10/Rhino 5 combo myself however, only Win 8.1 which, as you’ve discovered, leaves much to be desired.

A decent video of Win 10 scaling improvements here:

http://miniguide.org/2015/06/16/rhinoceros-5-small-icons-solved/

here is a temp. solution

With a System Registry key addition and copying a manifest file to the folder where 64-bit Rhino V5 lives, you can fix the small icon problem on high resolution monitors.

The details are in this new FAQ support document:
http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/5/video/highres/toolbars_and_text_too_small_in_64-bit_rhino_5_on_high_resolution_screen

This also fixes the same issue for Grasshopper in 64-bit V5

5 Likes

Awesome Job, Thanks everyone at McNeel!!

Very nice! I have a Dell P2815Q 3K monitor and found that setting a custom screen text size of 175% worked very nicely. I also learned a neat trick for optimizing icon sizes in Windows 7. Left click and release in a blank area of the desktop then rotate the scroll wheel while holding down the Ctl key. This will let you adjust your icons sizes to your taste. Who knew?

Thanks,
Dennis

Nice tip! Even works on Windows 10… --Mitch

My eyes thank you!

Anxious to try, just not anxious to use Windows. Will give a try next time I need to be on that side of the fence.

Ctrl+wheel
This works also in any other explorer windows.
Since ‘ever’.
Also in most other programs to zoom the view.

Another one:
You can mouse-wheel through the tabs in Windows Explorer.
Same in all MS Office programs.
As in Rhino :wink:

-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

Cool! Thanks John, the shame is this solution lose the resolution (or the icon detail), it looks blurry… I’ve made this and all the software loses its definition, even the viewports are blurry…

Are McNeel still working on this? or do you have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance! your support is great. :slight_smile:

The “fix” will be V6. There has been a lot of work there and we’re almost done with cleaning up the display for high-resolution screens.
This is as good a V5 will be on high-resolution screens I’m afraid.
V5 was just not designed to accommodate their unique needs.

1 Like

Hey John, thanks for your quick response.

Your answer works well, but maybe in a few days we will receive a full 32" monitor, suitable for our team! If I want to make a "downgrade"for the patch registration that you’ve sent, how can I reverse the process? We want to test if the icons can change.

Once again, thanks for your patience and your hard work on this!