Supporting high resolution displays

Hi all,

Recently I have bought an UHD LCD 27’’ display, its resolution is 3840 x 2160p

I’m very disappointed now. Not because of the display, but because of the windows applications. They simply don’t support this resolution. Including graphical applications like Rhino.

Why do you do this guys ? Why do you think that the display world stopped at 1920x1080p resolution, and that will be the highest resolution until the end of the world.

My display was about 700 USD . Its not something unreachable high price at all, not a unique rare thing for millioners.

All the buttons are tiny-miny on Rhino5 interface. Its almost unusable, it takes seconds to aim a button.

Should I switch back to a 1920x1080p display , then I should try to sell this on eBay ?
Whats your opinion, what do you recommend ?

Would that be very-very hard task to create an sizeable UI in the year 2016 A.D. ? And then test it on a 4k display ?
A 4k UHD display costs less than 1 piece of Rhino for Windows license.

Thanks for listening my sore complaint.

Hi @telelaci,

I didn’t make the switch to 4K yet, but perhaps this topic will be helpful:
http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/4k-display-on-windows-fixed/17959

jarek

Hi Jarek,

Thank you very much for helping, you are great.

I’ve read all that thread.
There is no cure for V5, and probably won’t be.
Will be fixed in V6.

When will V6 be released ?

Hi,

Did you see this: http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/5/video/highres/toolbars_and_text_too_small_in_64-bit_rhino_5_on_high_resolution_screen

Seems like it was working for some users; again, can’t test it myself but I saw there was a lot of talk about it over here.

V6? ‘When it is ready’…

cheers,

-j

Hi Jarek,

Yeah I tested that.
Yes its working in a way, it halves the DPI of the screen. So the buttons will be fine again, but the 3D graphics will be 1920x1080p also. It actually doesn’t support 4K display, it just makes it usable. Better than nothing.

You should see the 3840x2160 drawings. Its awsome fine and detailed.
No announced release date for V6 ? Nothing ? Even the quarter of the year ?
Cheers,
Laci

I’ve been happily using Rhino 5 on a 4K monitor for so long I don’t remember what all I did to set it up. I do remember it wasn’t satisfactory “out-of-the-box”. It also took a little while to get accustomed to the small size of the largest available icons. but it works fine for me now. Maybe I’m not normally as speedy on the mouse as you are. Come to think of it, I think I had to adjust the mouse dynamics to suit the new situation.