.xyz file not opening

Hi,

I have a file .xyz that doesn’t open. It just takes a lot of time to load and then nothing happens. I don’t know if it’s because of my computer ( MacBook 2013, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3) or if the file is compromised.

Can I post my file here for someone to check if it’s a problem of computer or file?

Thank you very much

Sure. If it’s a huge file you won’t be able to… you may need to upload it somewhere and post a download link.

Thank you for your answer. I was actually able to open it from another computer.
Now that I have the point cloud, how can I convert it into a mesh?

Best,
Clara

You could try CloudCompare. Its free but the developer does request donations if you use it.
There is a Mac version of Cloud Compare but apparently its not compiled by the original developer.
There’s a link on the CloudCompare page that will take you offsite to download it.

Thank you, I will try that. Otherwise, I know this script :‘ASCIIGridImporter.py’ allows to create a mesh from point cloud . It was developed by @Helvetosaur . But my file is in .xyz. isn’t there a was to convert the file so that I can use the script ?

The name of that script implies you would have a single Z value for each XY position, essentially topography rather than a full 360 degree object. The XY positions would be expected at specified intervals, rather than random.

As @cdordoni says, an ASCII Grid file is not at all the same as an .xyz points file, so the script will not work for that.

Normally Rhino can open.xyz files directly, but a lot depends on how the file - which is just text - has been formatted. Without the file it’s impossible to know if it’s a Rhino problem or a file problem.

Thank you both for your answers. I managed to open the file on Rhino by first reducing the number of points and then creating the mesh on CloudCompare . I was then able to read the file in .obj on Rhino.

It could have been then that the file was simply too big to open on your machine with the amount of memory you have…