Wish Grasshopper windows with gradient transparent background

Hi David, All,

You know the drill when working with a laptop/single monitor: a constant dance of window arranging, or double-clicking GH window bar, or alt+Tab to switch between GH/Rhino windows.

simple example of problem, trying to work on these two windows at once:

proposed solution, Grasshopper window has a gradient slider in the canvas area to let you see through it:

you can move the two sliders that define when the full opacity of the GH canvas background starts/stops

The gradientā€™s length can be minimized to a very quick transition, just enough to make it clear that there is some masking going on:

5 Likes

Lots of good ideas there. Also I agree with David that true transparency is just terrible. I know Dynamo does it, but I canā€™t imagine working that way. Maybe itā€™s cool for documenting/taking screenshots once you arrange things neatly for a picture taking day, not as a working mode.

This is what the example I posted above looks like with true transparency:

This is the kind of amateur UX work that gives me nightmares.

You should try Wormhole. It works very well, and it does pretty much what you want.

1 Like

Thatā€™s neat, but no it doesnā€™t solve any of the UX challenges Iā€™m struggling with. Itā€™s still some form of discrete rectangular window-arrangements, which is what Iā€™m trying to avoid completely.

I posted that two comments up :smiley:

It is easy to make the entire GH window transparent via windows forms in C# however, it gives everything part of the GH window an opacity, not just the canvas. I believe I saw this from David Rutten some time ago. Will drop this here for the sake of the discussion, even though it is not ideal.

GrasshopperWindowOpacity.gh (3.5 KB)

2 Likes

Oh, sorry I didnā€™t check the thread through.
But yes, Wormhole is ā€˜sort ofā€™ a solution. I find it very useful and use it all the time.

I understand itā€™s not ideal, but itā€™s closest to a transparent work-surface.
Transparent background [or dedicated viewport window for Gh] is a thing that people are asking as far as I can remember.

Your ā€œconceptā€ seems interesting. Maybe you should build it :grin:

I use TopMostViewPort and it works quite well for me. Still rectangular window management but once setup I donā€™t really change much and can adjust the viewport size by simply dragging the top right corner. Of course you could have Grasshopper full size but I like seeing the command line, layers/properties panel, osnaps, etc.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just ā€˜the idea guyā€™ :joy::joy::joy:
I donā€™t know how to code. Only clicking and dragging all day.

That does look very good. Iā€™ll definitely use that for now. Thanks Louis!

Gustavo- This is a problem that many node based editors face. Blenderā€™s compositor solves the issues you talk about in a relatively flexible way- you can either work in a separate window or overlay

It can be a very interactive way of working the nodes. There shouldnā€™t be a reason you can do a gradient fading overlay of the window- although that would be a new UI paradigm - but that said it doesnt seem that we have figured out the best way to integrate nodes into Rhino proper.