Why does a 2000 x 2000mm box export as ai open as rectangular into photoshop?

Hi, wish to import into photoshop a shape and ensure its to scale, so draw 2000 x 2000mm box around it, select box and contents, export as adobe illustrator.
open into photoshop, its offering me 4641.85mm width x 2000.25 height 72dpi.

it opens as such. why ?

In Freehand I could do same and it would offer me 2000 width 2000 height and 72 dpi.

I tried placing Cplane origin bott left corner of box, as it was off to left and below, but that made no difference.

Steve.

(John Brock) #2

When you export to AI, can I assume you are selecting the export option to preserve the scale?

(John Brock) #5

Since I’m not a Photoshop user, that was the best I could do.
Preserving scale and exporting from a viewport at a Plan view (not perspective), then importing it back into Rhino and I get just what I sent out.

Hi,
I had 1mm = 1mm preserving scale, drew a box 2000 x 2000mm around the 2D drawing selected box and the drawing and chose export selected, adobe illustrated.
Open Pshop, file>open select the ai file, and what should be square is rectangular.

Steve

(John Brock) #8

If you open the AI file back into Rhino again as a check, is it distorted there too?

I just found this:
Pasted smart objects are distorted in CS6
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1102774?start=40&tstart=0

Hi Steve,

Exporting as Illustrator creates a file where the “page” has an origin at Rhino 0,0,0 and the top right of the page is the top right of the bounding box of the objects you selected.

So if the bottom left of your 2000 x 2000 box is offset from the Rhino origin you will get the rectangular behavior you describe. No amount of reminding us all of how you used to do it in Freehand is going to change this.

I should have stressed that it looks for the World origin, so unfortunately setting CPlane origin as you have done will have no effect.

This might be something for the developers to consider actually. Would it be possible for the Illustrator export plugin to have the option to read the CPlane origin to get around this issue?

Steve

Oh and one more thing. As a work around in Photoshop, you can just crop to the square box and you are good to go because your actual geometry is not distorted, just the overall page.

Make sure snaps are on in PS when doing this.

Hi Steve,
Understood,
best way then is just crop the result, trouble is I also need to open the file at sizes different to the original box size I have drawn, e.g I had a triangle and was trying to work out what size it was on an aircraft so opened it at 180mm then 190mm etc etc, to see what fitted picture best. With the data presented me upon opening into Pshop not representing the box size, such is not possible.
I dont want to even have to move my Cplane origin as I am happy where it is and such moves require more replacing it back to where it came from, however easy that is.

One can save Cplane and I presume the origin at time of save gets saved, but moving origin and not saving that as a new Cplane would see its position lost.

What method to save and restore later on Cplane origins apart from various Cplane saves ?

Steve

1. Photoshop. When you import from Rhino as Illustrator, your object is a smart object which can be resized non destructively as much as you like until you rasterize it. Help > Smart Objects

2. Rhino. Help > NamedCPlane

Running image>Trim in photoshop will get rid of everything but the imported geometry as a quick work around.

Hi, thanks Steve, I will look into that, I normally rasterize upon opening.

Okeating, as I have a box I know the size of surrounding my objects, and ensure its width or height features in the opening size, and I can alter the value by moving decimap point when working to 1/10 scale as currenly doing, image trim will only seek out edge of box I presume so wont get very far. Again not a command I was aware of so good to know, will see what happens.

Steve.