VRAY neui (nearly) crashing

Hey,

My laptop is very regularly going into 80% + CPU usage, pretty much all attributed to Vray neui.

I’m not doing anything particular in any sense when it’s happening.

I also get some messages sometimes that the Neui has encountered a problem and needs to close. Mostly when I leave the system idle and come back to it after many hours.

I had this on my former system as well. Now it’s back…

Can someone help? Thanks!

My system’s setup:

Rhino 6 SR15 2019-6-13 (Rhino 6, 6.15.19164.21011, Git hash:master @ e41c99d36bb5000377057645e96b3ea6facf6171)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-06-13
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: —

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-8DI78UQ

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P5200 (NVidia) Memory: 16GB, Driver date: 6-13-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.27

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 1-9-2019 (M-D-Y).

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-13-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9827
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 16 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.15.19164.21011
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.20.rhp “Bongo 2.0”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.15.19164.21011
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.15.19164.21011
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.15.19164.21011
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\BongoUI.20.v60.rhp “BongoUI20v60”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi Arman_Fissette

Mind that NeUI window has an embedded V-Ray renderer that renders the preview image. You can turn
that off and check if the CPU usage is still high

Ok, thanks Nikolai, let’s try that.

Where can I find that window to toggle it off?

Another thing that seems strange to me is that for 2 Rhino sessions open, there are 6 Vray neUI processes running. Why that many? Wouldn’t each Rhino session have a single Vray neUI running?

I don’t have much faith in this window. It is vastly superior than what it used to be in Win7, but still - not really useful

I stick to my good old Process Explorer
There is a separate process for each NeUI window + 1 main that drives the rest. However that has negligible performance impact if that is your concern.

You can stop the preview renderer, by clicking the “stop” button above the image:

I’d update that driver as well…

So I’ve updated the driver. Thanks for pointing that out, Gijs. However, it has no effect on the issue.

The preview renderer does, it seems.

When it’s off, CPU is 5%, when it’s on, it’s 80%. Percentages change immediately after toggling on or off, so to me that seems to be the culprit.

Any way to solve this? (toggling “off” being a quick-fix rather than the solution)

What do you mean by “solve”? I don’t see a problem in a first place !
Your computer IS working to render the preview, and that is the usage score. Either stop it, or use simpler materials, easy to sample

Ah, OK,

It just seems odd that a tiny preview screen would tax my PC that much that it would nearly crash.
Also, I’m not messing with any materials currently, just modeling. Why would Vray take over my PC’s CPU to update a preview to what was essentially already there and that I don’t even care about for the time being?
I just thought something must have been wrong. Doesn’t seem logic in terms of assigining CPU power to what’s essential…

@Nikolay I have the problem from time to time too, that the CPU is running and running, without I use the material preview. Last I send a file to the support, there the CPU is running too. Maybe you could test the file from case #123-170-1320 . I would be very happy to, if this bug could be fixed, since 60% CPU usage are quite a lot for nothing.

EDIT: Here the file. (Also at this file I get no rendered preview.)
NoMatPreview.zip (35.3 KB)

Hi @Peter.Chaushev could you help and find someone who check this issue please? :wink:

1 Like

Strange, no answer since days. Some times reporting bugs is very frustrating. The bug is greeting every day and the developer stay in silence.

It is the dirt texture in the opacity slot that causes the problem, but I don’t have time to get into it right now. There are more pressing issues right now

I afraid if your team needs 2 weeks to check bugs than a lot of reports will be forget or overseen.

Good luck for the more pressing issues. :wink:

Hi! I have this problem and when I try to uninstall vray I can’t.

Finally I’ve solved giving total acces to all programs to the temp folder

@Oscar3Dr hi can you please tell me how to solve the problem like yours? i also have the same problem

Go to temp folder:
C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Temp
right button-Properties-Securtiy and give total acces for your user.

thanks it works bro