Vray 5 for Rhino 7 not reading proxy materials

Hi! I recently switched over from Vray 3.6 for Rhino 5 to Vray 5 for Rhino 7. Had no real issues until I tried to render a scene with proxy trees. The geometry of the trees is fine, but the materials did not transfer over. They rendered fine in 3.6, but are all black in 7. Thoughts?

Hi Tim,

There is an issue with proxy materials coming from 3.60 or earlier. The problem is actually in 3.60 - the sub materials were not registered with the Rhino material table, only with the V-Ray scene.
In later versions we migrated the materials to RDK materials, but those unregistered ones, have not migrated and become “orphan”

in 5.20.03 and later there is an automatic purge that takes place, and the the sub materials got deleted.
This issue is already resolved in our nightly builds and will be available in the next release in few weeks time.

For the time being, you could temporarily downgrade to 5.20.02 or earlier.
In case those materials were all auto-generated and were only colors, you can turn on the in-proxy materials toggle, which will assign random color materials automatically. It shall have the same effect.

That worked, thank you!

Any way you could let me know when that new build is released?

Thanks!

Hi,

Unfortunately I can’t disclose any dates or schedule.
I can only say that a public beta will be available very soon. Just keep an eye on chaos.com for an announcement

Mind that beta releases are not for production work

Hi, V-Ray 6 for Rhino beta was just released. You can check it out here V-Ray 6 for SketchUp and V-Ray 6 for Rhino beta | Chaos