VisualARQ and Construction Phases

Hi, I would like to know if or how we can setting and organize the Costruction Phases in VisualARQ (for example existing/destroied/new built with colours black/yellow/red). Maybe with Grasshopper, I don’t Know… I need a suggestion. Special thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @lucavsnt,
You can manage that using styles and custom parameters.
First you can create a custom parameter called “Phase of construction” so later on you can assign information to objects. This new parameter can be created by document, by style or by object individually. To create it by Document, open the Document Properties > Parameters > and create new parameter "“Phase of construction”:

You can create new object styles (i.e. run the vaWallStyles to open the Wall styles dialog), and assign information to that custom parameter for each style.

From the attributes tab you can assign different colors or attributes to each style to show them differently in the model:

You can see the information of that “Phase of construction” custom parameter from the “Parameters” section, in the Properties panel, or assign new values to any kind of geometry:

(PD: Take into account that these custom parameter can be listed in tables, and is also stored in the geometry as ifc Property after exporting the model to IFC.)

Kind regards,

3 Likes

Hi,
VisulARQ and Construction Phases is fundamental for architecture projects! The explanation is clear enough but how can you visualize the different phases in a layout?
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @alessandri_ale, unfortunately right now there is no option to visualize objects or assign attributes according to their parameter values. This is something we are studying to implement in future versions.

1 Like

Hello,
Besides parameters, you can still use various elements’ styles. Below a small example of a model with existing walls and walls to be removed. All made with styles.

Regards, Jaro

2 Likes

Thanks for suggestion a will test it.
However, the management of the phases is very important in bim projects
Regards.
Ale

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve been using the methods suggested in this thread to organize construction phases, but there are some issues that I haven’t been able to resolve. In the image bellow you see a door that is set to be demolished, in a wall that it also with a demolished style. But there is a new wall nearby where an opening is also created because of the nearby demolished door…how to avoid such issues?

1 Like

Hello @Filipe_Brandao,

I guess you are speaking about this door:

Please, could you send me the file so that I can check it? You can send it to me here or to visualarq@asuni.com

You can avoid this by using worksession. F.e. the file with demolished walles as one inactive, and the file with new build elements in another, active file.

2 Likes

There was another thread where someone was asking something similar. Here’s the thread. New construction and demolition without geometry intersections - #5 by arcus

Speaking for myself, in order to prevent these interactions I slice off the parts we are going to demo and then explode, group, and change the layer to a demo layer which is generally turned off.

I typically have 3 separate models: an existing, demo, and proposed model. The existing is more or less a backup, and the proposed is the active BIM file. I split/explode/group/changelayer the demo elements in the BIM model during the design process and once I know exactly what is being demo’d, I create a separate demo file (from the existing model) with that demo geometry included and nothing new. It makes it easier to document.
You could technically leave the demo’d objects in the primary BIM file, but then you would have to turn off all the new stuff in your demo plans. It’s much easier to just make it a separate model.

3 Likes

@alfmelbev I’ve sent the file. Thanks,

@user28 Thanks! I’ll have a look at that strategy.

@arcus Thanks for the detailed workflow. I’m kind of following a similar workflow, without the demo’d model. I was trying to avoid exploding the demolished parts, but I’m also passing them to a demolished layer. My expectation was that there could be some way of keeping as much as possible in one model, but I guess currently this is the best approach. The one model logic is still not possible.

1 Like

Another approach would be storing into the parameters of the objects (walls, beams etc) the actual construction phase and then via grasshopper real-time baking (either with the traditional method - of delete layer component as presented on one of the videos of Michele Calvano in youtube - or with elefront -as presented by @archist97 in one of his posts) either control the visibility of exploded and merged solids representing each construction phase-related geometry or bake every time objects of one or another construction phase (by storing and update the creation-curves), through a button trigger.

I believe that user-developed workarounds through the methods above could be applied in numerous features missing currently from VA such as level of detail, exporting plans to dwg automatically with the desired layer structure (i had created such a workflow), attaching walls to levels etc.
An off-topic but related to my answer desire would be to connect with other active members to co-create such workarounds such as @Eugen @arcus @archist97 (surely i should mention other people too) with the necessary guidance and participation of the VA developers. This could give me (and other people) the strength to use VA actively :slight_smile: