VisualArq 2.9 Performance Reports?

Anybody out there using Va 2.9 yet?
Reports welcome.

I got so excited about this new release. But unfortunately, the most important point is still not addressed. Adaptive Dimensions. How it is possible to make decent drawings (in real life not in class) when every time you move a wall you need to make new dimensions. ( they do not follow geometry and dimensions cant be used to move geometry)
Sadly it does not fit the normal workflow
Will hope for the next release
Best regards
Kristaps

3 Likes

Hi @kristaps.sveisbergs , we have plans to implement the dimensions linked to VisualARQ objects in in a future VisualARQ 3.x version. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Hi @djhg Does anything stop you from using VisualARQ 2.9 already? It works better than any previous VisualARQ version.

I am hesitant to update software when I am in the middle of a project, as I currently am.

It seams that VA is not working with rhino 7?!

Could it be that ?!

@kristaps.sveisbergs have you installed VisualARQ 2.9 for Rhino 7?

If one could use dimensions to move stuff (somewhat as in Revit) in my opinion that would make VA twice as good as it is right now… This kind of interaction with objects is a great, most intuitive way to move stuff and keeping everything in order. It speeds things up drastically.

3 Likes

Yes. I had a Rhino beta version before with VA 2.9. and now with Rhino 7 it was not working

The old trick with removal and fresh installation solved my problem. but I still can’t import IFC models and in rhino 6 with larger IFC models Rhino crashes while loading.

Rhino 6 crashed, and you cannot open them in Rhino7? Can you share those IFC files so we can take a look? (send them to visualarq@asuni.com)
Thanks,

I don’t know exactly how Rhino and VisualArq works with hardware, but working with same computer in revit, program feels snappier with less crashes.
Biggest issue for me is working with IFC files - don’t know why but there is problem with opening even 100 mb files and i have files that are close to 1 gb.

Hi @kristaps.sveisbergs for what I’ve seen so far, Revit takes longer time to open IFC files than what VisualARQ does. But maybe that’s different with some of your files. If you can send it over (visualarq@asuni.com) we will take a look and see why it takes that long to open.

What Rhino and VisualARQ versions are you using?

Also, if you experience any crash, a .dmp file will be generated in your desktop. Please change this file’s name before closing the Rhino crash message, zip it and send it to us. That way we can figure out what happened and fix any possible errors.

Hi @fsalla Just did a small check on my stationary computer.

Yes you are correct, import IFC model in revit takes a lot longer than with VA in Rhino
But once the model is in it is easy to navigate and work with - In Visual Arq or rhino same model working is unpleasantly slow.
I am currently trying to work with Rhino 7 and VA 2.9.
about crash report - I am not getting that file on the desktop

Hi @kristaps.sveisbergs,

Can you share that model so we can test ourselves that performance speed, and see if there is something that is causing it? Also, take into account some general recommendations to improve the modeling performance in Rhino (regardless if you are using VisualARQ or not). Here are a few of them, perhaps the basic ones:

• Work with one expanded viewport rather than 4 viewports at the same time
  • Choose the appropriate display mode settings. Wireframe and Shaded are the faster ones, in comparison to Rendered, Artistic, Technical… Basically, avoid shadows in the current display for faster performance.
  • Hide objects you don’t need to see while you work. You can manage this through layers. But the modeling performance depends on the amount of geometry that needs to be “painted” in the scene.
  • Sectioned models will work slower than not sectioned models. Check the Level Manager or Section manager in case there is some cut plane or section that was activated unnecesarily.

You can also generate the crashdump file this way: when Rhino freezes and this “Not responding” message appears, open the Windows Task Manager, do right click on the Rhino process, and select the option “Create Crush Dump File”. It might be a big file, so please zip it and send it to us. But it would be easier if you can share the ifc file, so we can test how it opens in our machines.

Thanks!

these are a few of the IFC files that I need to work with?

Most of my work I am doing with Twinmotion, Solibri, Revit, Trimble connect
when it comes to opening file and finding the information I would like to use Rhino with VA 2.9 but currently, In my testing it has stability / speed issues.

Hi @kristaps.sveisbergs after opening the larger one of these IFC files and saving it as 3dm, I can see the model reaches nearly 1,5GB. I’ve run the Testmaxspeed with and without VisualARQ loaded, using Shaded display mode on Perpective viewport maximized. These are the results:

• With VisualARQ loaded: Time to regen viewport 100 times = 142.45 seconds. (0.70 FPS)
  • With VisualARQ not loaded: Time to regen viewport 100 times = 131.59 seconds. (0.76 FPS)

As you can see there is no significant difference between using VisualARQ or not, so VisualARQ basically relies on Rhino’s capabilities to handle such large models. Hiding geometry that you don’t need to see may improve the working performance. And also turning Isocurves off in the current display mode.

I can see Revit takes a longer time to open this file, but once it’s open the modeling performance is way better. I guess this happens due to the fact Revit reads the geometry as meshes, while Rhino+VisualARQ generates polysurfaces. Perhaps we could make VisualARQ read the geometry from IFC files as meshes, and not turning it into Polysurfaces, as long as no VisualARQ objects are detected, as it is in your sample files.

I haven’t run into any crash though. If you can generate the crashdump file as indicated before and send it to us, we will take a look.

1 Like

Thank you for your testing and ivested time.

From task manager i could tell that rhino is not really pushing hardware
Cpu use was max 7 % and gpu was jumping all the time 0- 50 %

Could i do something on hardware side that helps perfirmance?

About crashes - i will try to get files bu it often crashes during import.

Hi

I Managed to make the crash dump.
I have Rhino on 2 computers - on one computer, I can’t import IFC files. Even small IFC files that were made in Rhino. I have tried to reinstall VA.

Please have a look when you have time.

thanks
Kristaps

Hi @kristaps.sveisbergs, thanks for the .dmp file. We will take a look asap. Is anyone of the IFC files you sent me before the one is causing the crash? Otherwise, please send me the one.
Thanks,

Hi
I have a problem with all IFC files.
I made few walls with Visual Arq and exported it as IFC file than I tried to import it and got that error message. In the link, you will find a screenshot from Rhino Actions