Test: VisualARQ 2/Rhino 7 obects to Revit 2020

Hello all

I tried to import an apartment building that I modeled with Rhino 7 and VisualARQ to Revit 2020 as a test. It should be an advantage for my customers in the future… Any IFC or DWG file is better… :wink: What is going wrong here? I am looking for a simple solution without having any knowledge of GH. Could one of you please help me? That would be great.

Best regards
Boris

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Hi Boris,
If you open the IFC model with VisualARQ, does the wall extension look correct?
Can you share that model to test? I’ve tried to export some models with walls extended to IFC, and open the files in Revit (2021 and 2024) and in both versions it worked fine.

Hallo Francesc

Vielen Dank für Deine Hilfe. Ich sende Dir sehr gerne die IFC zu. Kannst Du mir Bitte Deine Mail Adresse angeben.

Viele Grüsse
Boris

You can share the file to visualarq@asuni.com

1 Like

Hi @Boris_87 I’ve received your file, thanks!

This is how your IFC file exported from VisualARQ looks like in Revit 2024, so I think there might be a problem with Revit 2020:

1 Like

Hello Francesc

Thank you for your help and information. The IFC file is not a problem. It is about the direct import into Rhino .Inside.Revit . I would like to have Revit geometry.

Rhino.Inside.Revit

Best regards
Boris

IFC creates direct shapes, if you are looking to create native geometry you’ll need to use the Create tools for each Element type. VisualARQ is governed by these rules as well.

@Boris_87 There are some issues related to transferring this model to Revit with Rhino Inside:

• There are no Revit aware components in Grasshopper to transfer extended walls. In those cases it would be actually better to transfer the walls unextended, and do it directly in Revit.
  • These walls of your model are not extended but they have got some solids subtracted. The GH script for exporting the models to Revit is not taking into account these cases, so it should be further developed to support that.
  • These walls are actually walls created from solids, and the GH script does not distinguish between regular VisualARQ walls and walls created from solids. In consequence, the wall types generated in Revit might not be consistent.

For all these reasons, I’d rather rely on IFC than Rhino.Inside for a better transition from Rhino to Revit with that model.

@Japhy if the model exported to IFC has VisualARQ objects, some of them (depending on their type and how they have been created) are identified in Revit as native Revit objects, not always as Direct shapes. Check this out: IFC to Revit - VisualARQ

Using Rhino.Inside, anything that can’t be turned into native Revit objects (because of the lack of the proper Revit-aware components in GH) can be transferred as direct shapes tagged with the corresponding type and shared parameters.

1 Like

Hello Francesc

Thank you very much for your help! I have also done a few tests for myself. If a company absolutely wants geometric shapes as a Revit file and not as IFC I will do the following:

• All walls, ceilings, stairs,… will be modeled as Rhino geometry (solids). Each geometry is assigned to an IFC

With this method you have a clean error-free direct import. Of course, this is not a pure BIM modeling. The parametric information is missing.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Best regards
Boris

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)