Viewport tabs "dead"

Rhino v.6 SR5

After working for a few minutes, the view port tabs “die”, and I cannot mouse-select another viewport directly on the tabs (which is my normal preferred way of changing active viewport)
I can, however, double-click the viewport name, thus return to the 4 viewport layout, and select another viewport and maximize this by double-click its name. But the tab showing active viewport will not change to the new, active viewport name.
Likewise, I can still use the viewport-buttons on my 3D-mouse to change active viewport, but the tabs will not update active viewport name.

Not a big issue, but quite irritating, since I use this all the time…
I cannot recall ahving seen this before the last update, but that can just be a coincidence.

Anyone got an idea of how to get this in good working order again?

-LeftyLooser-

2 Likes

Hi Leftylooser - I have never heard of this, I don’t think - - does it happen with every new session of Rhino?

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,

Yes, I restarted Rhino 6 a couple of times, and the issue returned after a few minutes every time.
I didn’t restart computer. Perhaps that will help…
Will check that tomorrow…

Use ViewportTabs to switch them off and on again, that should get it working. You seem to be running into this a lot more that I have seen though. As a workaround, you could assign it to a macro
_ViewportTabs _Hide _ViewportTabs _Show

Sam

2 Likes

This happens to me maybe once a week, usually when I’m working with a lot of layouts. I use viewporttabs > toggle, cycle through a few layouts with ctrl+tab, viewporttabs > toggle. Hiding and showing the tabs doesn’t always work and the cycling seems the “refresh” the viewports.

Sam & Stan: Thank You for workaraounds!

Both solutions have helped me out.
Luckily I don’t run into this problem so often anymore after pc reboot.
Probably I just had a bad day when “Computer says “No”” :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Just for statistics: I’ve had this as well a few weeks ago! It happened a few times after each other with 1 file, it’s really annoying. But it only occurred like 2 days and since then I haven’t had the issue.

I’ve had this happening again today. Happened 2 times on the same file. I haven’t updated to the last SR yet.

Hm - ok - I don’t think anything has changed there in the latest, at least I am not aware of any - I guess the main thing is, as far as I know, we’re not seeing this here… if we can see it happen, there’s a good chance we can fix it. Are you using any non-default plug-ins?

-Pascal

Does elefront count? That’s the only one I’m aware of. I used to have Rhinocam to check out the trial version but I uninstalled it.

Hello - I’d say Elefront counts - if you can work without it for a while, try blocking it in PlugInManager and then restart Rhino and run for a bit like that.

Any dfferent?

-Pascal

I’ll give it a go but it’s hard to tell if that does it. It now also took weeks before it happened again as I cannot seem to recreate it.

Hi, I have this problem in rhino 6 almost every sesion I am working with multiple layouts. When I switch between viewport and layouts, the vieport tabs black out and not refreshing even after refresh vindow maximize/minimize…Only solution is to restart rhino. Mainly this happen when I switch betveen detail and layout. It is very anoying.
Computer specs: Dell precission 5530, i7, 32GB ram, Quadro P1000 4GB - latest driver set to dynamic streaming, Win 10 1903

1 Like

Hi - could you please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the result here?
-wim

Rhino 6 SR19 2019-10-9 (Rhino 6, 6.19.19282.06111, Git hash:master @ 7298ffdb8d018412b41ac0448bd4eb1b619f30ce)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-10-09
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Jaroslav ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: JAROS

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-12-2019 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P1000 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 9-19-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.94

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 2x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-19-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3194
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.19.19282.6111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.19.19282.6111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.19.19282.6111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 6.19.19282.6111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.19.19282.6111
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thanks for that!
Nothing in there gets the warning lights to flash so we’ll have to try to dig deeper. Nobody around here has seen this on our systems and to be able to fix this we will need to be able to reproduce the issue.

You write that it happens in almost every session and mainly when switching between details and layouts. Can you see any pattern in this behavior? When does it not happen? What are your tab settings? If you could find a workflow that reliably reproduces the problem we would have a bigger chance of solving this.
-wim

Yes, it happens when I am working with layouts. When modeling i dont know since I am not using tabs between views (I use shortcuts and tab have set to: Combined model tab).

What do you mean by “tab settings”?

I ll keep trying to reproduce the behaviour, so far it is inpredictable.
Thank you

1 Like

Basically what you wrote right above that: “Combined model tab”. But also the alignment - looks like you place them at the bottom of the Rhino window. When it happens, have you tried toggling the tabs like was suggested earlier in the thread?
Do you use multiple screens? And if so, is Rhino on the primary or secondary screen?
-wim

This also happens to me,seemingly randomly,I have not noticed a pattern.

Today, I had a similar problem in Adobe Bridge, where preview window did not refresh and “freezed”. Maybe a silly question: how graphics works with dual GPU in Rhino? I have Intel and quadro, Rhino is using quadro for view and rest of the area (menu icons etc…) is under intel dedicated card or rhino is under NVidia quadro control as a whole?