Video flickering again … crap

I know this has been mentioned as fixed, but way to frequent to work, May do a restart.

Also image (PictureFrame) not showing up in Perspective view. I am wondering if the video card here at work. I had no problems all weekend on my Mac Pro at home.

These 2 screenshots are just from clicking in the respective viewports, anywhere.

Clicking in top does this …

Clicking in perspective does this …

If I am not so lucky, perspective goes white as well. Front doesn’t seem to be affected this morning.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 WIP (5A794w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.4 (Build 14E11f)

Plug-ins
/Users/jewelpop/Library/ColorPickers/SkalaColor.colorPicker/Contents/MacOS/SkalaColor

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4240)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac12,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500S CPU @ 2.70GHz
Memory: 20 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440, 1440 x 900
Displays: iMac (109dpi 1x), SyncMaster (89dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Microsoft: Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye™
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.32.20
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

10.10.4???

5A794w has been OK for me thus far on two different Mac models with 10.10.3 and 10.9.5.

However, monetarily I thought I saw a “flicker”. I was in a ghosted left view of the cplane, thinking I had properly created a cplane in that left view. Attempted, erroneously, to move an object in this state and the ghosted object failed to move (as it should I suppose) but it “flickered” too. Don’t know if that is to be expected.

Once I created a proper cplane, all was well again. Not sure if this is relevant???

I was working on a old file, not sure if that was it. I did a restart and am now working on a new file and no flicker.

The flicker i saw earlier was that the whole viewport went white and stayed that way until i clicked in it or another.

Got this this morning …

Meant to imply that pre-release OSs are asking for trouble on a production machine, unless you are just into that for the fun of it (nothing wrong with that), or have a separate dev partition to play with.

2 Likes

And I am doing it with WIP software as well, since 2008. Just for fun and I will take the consequences. No nothing wrong with that, I could be using WinRhino.

Trying to convey MOV to mp4. Maybe later, shows flicker.

There it is!.. :smile:

Finally got the MOV converted. Here is what I am seeing …

Rhino Flicker.mp4 (4.4 MB)

Does the flickering happen with the same Rhino model and same version of Rhino and same hardware when running 10.10.3?

I will check tomorrow, to see what my other machine is running. This was happening last week, before the 10.10.4 update this morning, with latest 5A794w build. I have different machine and hardware here …

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 WIP (5A794w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.4 (Build 14E11f)

Plug-ins
/Users/fatty/Library/ColorPickers/SkalaColor.colorPicker/Contents/MacOS/SkalaColor

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4234)
com.digidesign.mbox2.boot.driver (10.3.5f211)
com.Greatdy.driver.SystemAudioCapture (1.0.0)
com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.6.6)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacPro2,1
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 18 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200
Displays: Cinema (99dpi 1x), BenQ FP231W (98dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: iPhone
PixArt: DynexWired USB Optical Mouse
Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: Apple Cinema Display
Canon: CanoScan
Digidesign: Mbox 2

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.32.20
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

The other Mac here at work is running 10.8.5. I will try to get her to upgrade to 10.10.3

I no longer think this is related to the OS X version. The computers with this issue have several large displays and relatively small GPU memory sizes.

Mac Rhino recently switched to a faster drawing method that requires more GPU memory, so the computers with small GPU memory are likely running out of GPU memory. This problem is more likely to appear when opening multiple Rhino models.

The previous drawing method used less GPU memory, but would also infrequently crash on some computers.

Computers with 512MB of GPU memory and more than one display will revert to the old drawing method. This change is in the 5A808w WIP release.

I have suspected this as the cause of many of my video issues. The 2 iMacs here were bought to run Rhino, but by a Windows person and we were not consulted on the hardware that we needed.

Just installed, thanks.

Good deal. Hoping this cures the issue. I take a 15% performance hit rendering wise using the 970’s for video, so where possible I like to stick to the lowly GT120 when rendering (which is pretty much 24/7). By not using the GPU’s for video I not only don’t have the performance hit when rendering, the UI remains a lot more responsive, and I don’t really even notice the renders as there’s very little CPU hit when rendering via the GPU’s on the 970’s.

Well, it was fine until a few minutes ago. This is a work computer, trying to get a quote to upgrade video, mid-2011 27" iMac.

At one point before I started screen recording, all 3 viewports, except Top, would flicker to white.

Flicker Two.mp4 (4.7 MB)

The 5A808w WIP reverts to the previous drawing technique in pretty specific circumstances. You can force the regression with a test command. Run TestUseBackBuffer and change the mode to Use D I B. This setting does not persist between sessions, so you need to run this test command each time you start Rhino.

Rhino likes to use a lot of GPU memory, but it also has to share with the OS and all the other applications that are running. The Rhino antialiasing setting and the number of open Rhino windows will also affect how much GPU memory Rhino needs.

thanks, It was fine all morning, then I restarted and even though I had one Rhino Window, I was using Illustrator to bring lines from Rhino. I will bookmark this for future, thanks.

I’m getting the same white screen as well. Using 5A808w, 10.10.3 and running a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 with 2048MB which doesn’t support the idea that memory is the problem. Any other ideas?

Had same issue on iMac with Yosemite clean install. Reinstalled Mavericks and it went away, Yosemite upgrade over Mavericks seemed to solve issue…

Not sure why, had this problem, restarted Rhino, it was gone.

For me it was that I couldn’t work in the standard bottom-right viewport. Set to ‘Right’. As I clicked in there, it turned white, so I couldn’t work. When selecting another viewport, the display would reappear.

Yup, it’s still there. Encountered it last night. To verify restarted with the one of the 4GB GTX 970’s and after an hour or so the dreaded whiteout popped up again. Seems to happen more frequently when I have opened more than one Rhino file.

Question: Normally I use only my GT120 while modeling as blender is generally rendering on the 2 GTX970’s. You mentioned that Rhino likes to use GPU memory for openGL. Does it do this on the in use video card, or any available? I.E., is it attempting to use the 970’s for open GL or just the GT120 that the displays are attached to? If so, that might be a cause for whiteouts when the 970’s are rendering cycles frames in blender. A little clarification there may help in figuring out the cause.