Very slow scroll zoom, and panning

Hello Pascal,

You helped me with this situation awhile ago, but this time I am unable to improve the situation.
I tried to mess around with the soom target, but do not think I am doing it properly…

Would you be so kind as to give me a “step by step” on how to improve the performance of my scroll zoom and panning?..you mentioned previously to “reset my zoom target”…?
(ie: how zoomed in or zoomed out should I be when I attempt to reset? how big or small should I make the target “box”…?..any any other advise you may have for me?

If I zoom way in, the scroll eventually slows down and does nothing, and the render starts to disappear…and also, while in deep zoom, the pan is very slow/ microscopic movements, and I have to zoom out, pan, and zoom back in again.,.)

(Pascals previous comments were:) (the actual topic started out with curve network and surface edges…)

This is not likely to be due to the mesh setting, it just happens that you reset the target in that view at the time you made the change to the render meshes. The slowdown happens when the camera eye point gets very close to the target point in a perspective view, as can happen with Zooming via scroll or Zoom Window. I suggest using Zoom Target (right click on the Zoom Window button by default) to reset the camera and target from time to time or when this slowdown in dynamic zoom occurs…

any help is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Julie

Hi Julie - start Zoom Target (Right mouse button on the Zoom Window icon) and using an object snap, like End or Near, set the target point to a specific location on one of your objects and then drag the zoom window out from there. In extreme cases, like super close in views, it pays to change the view projection to Parallel from Perpsective. This is easiest in the Properties panel, when no objects are selected.

Any luck?

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,
Thank you for your quick reply!

ok, so first, I just went into file/ properties/ view

• and checked “always pan parallel views” (is this correct?)

• and then unchecked "auto adjust camera target after pan and zoom (is this correct?)

• have not yet done the drag window thing…do I drag the window around the object? what is my intention in terms of what/ how much I am capturing with this window?

• i figured I would try to adjust one thing at a time…

• so far, checking the “parallel” box seems to have fixed the problem…for now…

as for the rest of the settings, do these look correct? (I model jewelry…)

pan

• screen fraction= 0.0625

zoom

• scale factor= 0.9

named views (all of the below three are checked)

• named views set CPlane
  • named views set projection
  • named views set clipping planes

rotate

• increment in divisions of a circle= 60
  • and only “rotate around axis” is checked here

dynamic redraw

• frames per second= 5.0

viewport properties

• “wrap cursor at viewport borders” is the only one checked here
  • default 35mm carmera lens length= 50.0

(i think these settings must have come as default, because I surely do not know what they mean…yet!

Best Regards,
Julie

Hi Julie- the Zoom Target thing is a command that should help sort out the slow panning/zooming that occurs when the camera gets too close to the target. Start the Zoom command, choose Target at the command line and then snap to a location as I described…?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

yes, sorry to be unclear! I know to next do zoom/ target/ set new camera target command, and first snap to an end or something…but I am still little unclear on how to direct the box that I am drawing…and, is it ok to do this in the perspective window, or is there a “best” window to do this command from? (sorry for the silly question!)

Best Regards,
Julie

Hello,

and, so far, zoom performance improved greatly for now.
JUlie

Once you snapped to some point to set the new target, you drag the rectangle basically based on the following: If you find that rotating the view moves the point of interest out of your view but the zoom level is basically OK you make the rectangle about the same size as the entire viewport. If you need to zoom in a lot closer to a point of interest and mouse zooming doesn’t get you closer, you make a very small rectangle around that point of interest.

You need to do this in the perspective window that you are viewing into. The target point is strictly view-dependent.

To better understand what is going on, you can use the Camera command in the perspective window and look at the camera representation in the other views.

Hello wim,

ah! doing “camera/ show” command was very enlightening!

I think I get it now…!

…the rectangle (in the top, front, side veiwport) changes size as I zoom in and out in the perspective view…(the rectangle being the area of the perspective viewport)

…and the pyramid lines (which I think show the distance (and angle?) that the camera is away from the object) and the ends of the lines extend from this rectangle to a point, which I am thinking is the camera…?

…am I correct?

…it appears that I can drag the points on this rig too…

…hey, i think I just tightened up my rotation! that is cool!

…if I mess up, can I just hit view/ restore viewports?

…i need to research the camera more!

thank you for being so generous with your knowledge!

Best Regards,
Julie

Running 4view 2 times after each other always resets all views to factory defaults. So, no reasons at all for not experimenting :sunny: