VA3 - Hang/Lag when Moving Guides + General Performance

Hey Guys,

I’m getting long unresponsive moments when moving guides in VA3. Nothing is locked to these guides yet, it just really sucks wind after I make a selection and then again when I attempt to move it. Any idea what’s going on?

I’ll also note that general performance seems to be slower than R7/VA2. Any chance that will improve over time?

Thanks!

Edit: After experimenting a little more, I think I could stand to learn a little more about how guides operate in VA3. Is there any documentation available that might help?

Edit #2: Okay, I understand how guides work, and that’s excellent. Basically, anything that has a grip that falls within the tolerances of a guide will stick to it when it moves, as long as that option is enabled.

However, for western framing, we’ll often make a wall align to a gridline/guide at face of framing for the convenience of our builders. I can’t seem to figure out how to make the face of an interior layer of a wall a valid location for a snap that will interact with a guide.

Is there a method to do this? Thanks again for all your help!

Hi Clayton,
If you can share any models where the performance is slow, it’s the perfect time to check these issues and fix/improve them. We have been testing the guides in several files and everything was working fine, but the more projects we can test this out, the better.

Same. If you have any models to share that we can compare the performance with VA2, we will appreciate it. Please indicate which actions or details you feel are slower so we can try to reproduce them.

You can check the Users Guide vaHelp.

Walls align with guides when they snap to them from their left, center, or right axis. If you want to do it from a specific face of a layer, you can use the wall alignment offset (you will need to figure out the corresponding value).

1 Like

In general, we have optimized many existing features of VisualARQ 2, such as visualization, IFC export/import (not in this Beta yet), reading/writing 3DM, better use of multiple CPU cores, etc.

But the new features are still in the stabilization phase. We usually divide the development process of each feature into four phases:

• Concept: first versions of the feature.
  • Implementation: after several tests we implement the final version.
  • Stabilization: We refine the code and fix bugs.
  • Optimization: We improve speed, memory consumption, etc.

I think it is always better to leave the optimization to the end, because only at that point do we know for sure how everything should work. Besides, any optimization usually entails a deterioration in the readability and maintainability of the code.

We have also noted that some operations are slower in Rhino 8, like some brep booleans, render display in some cases. We always report these issues to McNeel, and I can confirm that Rhino 8 is better on each SR iteration.

Please, any performance issue you find, let us know…

Enric

1 Like

Hi @fsalla,

I’ll shoot you a message with a db link to the file in question. Any input for how the file could be optimized would also be welcome.

That’s perfect, everything I’m looking for and more.

That works great, I can just provide the offset from the center of framing, which will almost always be consistent for any exterior walls on guides. Super easy and simple to adjust.

Hi @enric, understood. Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense and also helps set expectations for what kind of development we can expect. Thanks again for always communicating and keeping us informed.

Will do, I’ll try to take note of any recurring issues and share them with your team. Although some of them may be just me asking unrealistic things from the software…

Thanks again for all the great work from the Asuni team, VA3 is shaping up to be a huge leap forward!

1 Like