V8 Toolbars - here's another good one

I think this has been inherited from V7. the “Macro 78” tooltip wasn’t created by me. In V7 these spurious tooltips would often come up in German, Czech or even some Asian language.

Hi,
Here is the toolbar add macro R mouse or L mouse and delete is working.
Rhino 8 SR2 2023-11-29

Did you import your toolbar button from V7?

That toolbar was make by Rhino 7 but the new button made by Rhino 8 .
The same if you made a new toolbar by Rhino 8, the R&L mouse Tooltip add & delete is working too.

Have a go with importing this one and let me know what you find…

SpuriousMacroTest.rhc (973.3 KB)

As you mentioned in your record here R&L not working.

So, in order to try and get a clean toolbar without the inherited macro tooltip problem, I thought I would simply make a new toolbar and copy the Mirror button from V8 default a couple of times, then change the macros and replace the images with the ones from the existing imported V7 toolbar (they are bitmaps) shown here:

Problem 1 - from V8 it’s not possible to export the bitmap images from imported V7 toolbars - you can only export .svg and if you try that the exports are blank. So I went back to V7 and exported the bitmaps from there.

Problem 2 - it’s not possible to import a bitmap image into a V8 button either, you can only add an .svg.

Problem 3 - I tried to edit the .svg from V8 Mirror button in the built-in editor. The editor is just not workable (as others have mentioned). Most important is that it’s not possible to erase anything existing, there is no eraser tool I can see and trying to run a transparent pencil or line over something in an effort to blank it out only results in a new black line being drawn. It has a fill color but no fill tool. OK, that’s a dead end for now too.

So, I finally went back to V7 and made a new toolbar, and instead of copying buttons I made 4 new blank buttons, added the macros (copying them from the original Mirror toolbar) added the bitmap images (previously exported from Mirror toolbar) etc. Now there are no spurious RMB tooltips. I made a new blank .rui and imported this new toolbar into it and then saved it. Then I copied over the .rui into the V8 UI folder. From inside V8 I opened (linked) it. So far so good. Now, I want to copy those buttons into my other .rui also open in V8 - because I only want to have one of those open at a time. Will it work?

With the library I want to import into active, I hit the + to create a new toolbar. I give it a name and Next, Rhino then presents me with a list libraries to choose from for the import, I choose the newly created .rui with the mirror tools. Then I get shown the list of buttons I might want to import like this:

I don’t know what the macro numbers mean, but I go ahead and import all… That works fine, so now I have my shiny new toolbar and no more spurious tooltips.

But, the last question remains… what will happen if I now close the .rui that had the buttons I exported? In principle the buttons should have been copied over to the other .rui… Or have they been merely linked as we have experienced elsewhere? Only one way to find out - close the .rui that I used to export/import.

And the winner is…

…Nobody.

So all that more or less for nothing as well.

So the lesson here is - don’t expect to be able to copy buttons from one library to another. It simply does not work. In fact, don’t expect that copying buttons or other UI elements from anywhere to anywhere else in V8 will actually make a robust stable copy that will persist. It won’t. The system has been designed to prevent you from doing that.

1 Like

Toolbar in Rhino 8 should be recoding to be more flexible - support import “.ico,.png.svg” and export these format. If you try to export svg to png then select file format as png then type the name of file and save the file still as svg format, to convert it to png should be follow the name file by “. Png”.
When you try to create a new toolbar must create as new without assigned with any exist toolbar.

More things needs to fixed or re planning.

My regards.

F-D

I see this:
All buttons work (LMB), and all have the same RMB tooltip (but no command programmed)

I’ve logged a request for auto-conversion that should address this problem:
RH-78590 Auto convert pixel based icons to svg

The last issue of not being able to copy over buttons from one to another RUI or default I logged recently, and I suspect this is the same issue you are running into:

RH-78592 Copied toolbar buttons are ‘cleared’ when copied from a linked toolbar

That’s the point. I didn’t put the tooltip there for the RMB. Try to clear it and see what happens. Here it always comes back.

Yes, I see that, and I know I have logged that before, let me look that up. It’s convoluted, but the thing is that those RMB have associated macros, and you cannot delete them by clearing the tooltip. If you delete the lower 4 macros, those RMB tooltips are cleared:

edit: here it is RH-74633 Button Editor: RMB button Tooltip cannot be erased
I lost that battle

Yeah, this is a carryover from V7, these were imported from there and the problem was already there. That’s when I started realizing that copying buttons and then modifying them was a very bad idea. The associated macros could get stuck, even when you remove the tooltip and the command script.

If you copy a button that has left and right commands and you just blank out the right command, this will happen - you will get the tooltip coming back because somehow it hasn’t forgotten the RMB macro. If however you replace the RMB command script with something else, then it appears to work correctly.

I also never understood why I was getting the spurious tooltips in a non-English language when Rhino is running in English.

Maybe this particular problem has been fixed in V8, now we have a different collection of them…

1 Like

This issue appers on my custom toolbars since v6 too, I too always copy and paste buttons when creating a new one.

Hi,

This bug has been around since V3. I reported it and nothing was ever done, McNeel after all these years is still building their GUI on a rotten foundation that was never fixed.

RM

1 Like