Using squish for a last shoe shape

Dear Members,

Using squish command in Rhino gives a result which is not good for me but I can’t succeed to understand if I’m using it in a proper manner. the 2D surfaces are smaller than I’ve expected
The options which I’ve used are: ( SplitSeams=No PreserveBoundary=Yes Deformation=StretchOnly Material=Floppy Outside=Up Decorate=No )

Also I would like squish command in Grasshopper. I’ve tried some examples from
an old Grasshopper topic [ https://bit.ly/2GEu7dZ ] but without success.
Any help will be appreciated!
Thank you in advance,

Shoe last squish.3dm (1.3 MB)

Greetings,

I leave you here some approach (es), check carefully, 'hope it helps!
SHOE_LAST_FLATTENING.gh (95.6 KB)

1 Like

sorry I didn’t solve your squish problem :sweat_smile:

At least you’ve tried and I thank you for this!

no s**t :joy:

haha anyway if you decrease length factor a bit you get almost same length

you’re welcome

@davidsmavrov, different but similar to Pattern Projection via FlowAlongSrf

1 Like

Thanks for taging me brother. Checking it out.

Seems very promising to me but something doesn’t work -! I can’t see the flatten surface ‘number 2’ (‘1. Invalid cast: Brep » Brep’). Can you help, please? Thanks!

oh, you can ignore that, it was just to make a boundary around the flattened mesh and it fails occasionally - the mesh you want is in the ‘orient’ component, which you must ‘preview’ so it’s visible, and hit the reset button on kangaroo to re-simulate

• also bear in mind this was done for one of the two surfaces only, as a start, though you can input the other side (surface) of the last separately or update the file to flatten both if you deem it adequate

It works for one side [the blue one] but for the other doesn’t work!

There is another technical problem: In the first attachment I didn’t included the lines from the 3D surface which is defining the upper pieces! This because the Squish command ask for selecting them and is flattening them in the same time. What do you think?
Shoe last squish.3dm (1.0 MB)

looking into it, for now you should probably ‘squish’ each surface at a time (don’t input all to-be-flattened surfaces at once as the script is built for one-surface-at-a-time scenario?

I’ve tried this but it doesn’t work for the blue half!

I don’t know what you are referring to, the .3dm you just shared contains only the red side again, not blue, which supposedly doesn’t work.

…I’ll grab it from the original file…

also you have ghost surfaces that caused you the problems

updated here:
SHOE_LAST_FLATTENING_B.gh (70.3 KB)

test your two sides:

2 Likes

Hi,
Now it works for both sides! I don’t know what are the ghost surfaces - sorry if this was the problem-I’ll try to understand!
Each surface is containing some curves which is defining the 3D pieces. These should be flattened together with the surfaces in order to build the 2D upper’s pieces [hope the attached images are clear - I’ve used Squish command to obtain them which I’m sure is not a new news for you!!] How cand be done this with GH?

Thank you very much for your effort and patience!

try this
SHOE_LAST_FLATTENING_C.gh (464.5 KB)

it will bring back the curve points (for some reason it discards some, so I can’t get the curves back):

Can’t tell you if it’s 100% accurate, but what is? haha - once baked though (the flattened curve points) you can quickly draft curves with curvethroughpt command manually in rhino

I’m not sure if is accurate [or how much!]!
2D curves seems to be a projection of 3D curves on the flattened surface, which is not correct! A curve is not flattened [see the yellow curve]!
I’ve to understand the process, to play a little with it and to compare with some real shoe last flattened surfaces [including with those from Rhino-squish command] in order to see how accurate is!
Seems to be promising and I’ll provide a feedback here!
Anyway, any new idea or improvement is very appreciated and helpful!
Thank you!

Flattened%20curves

1 Like

what about this then:

is the curve that doesn’t go all the way to the edge of the surface supposed to be trimmed as opposed to hang there?

additionally, I recommend splitting your shapes first, then flatten the whole mesh to keep your seams where they are :slight_smile: